Why is the coloring of roos the same in so many breeds?

Schroeder

Crowing
14 Years
Nov 9, 2008
Central Indiana
My Coop
My Coop
I've noticed the coloring of many rooster breeds is very similar. Black Copper Marans, Wheaten Ameraucanas, Rhode Island Reds to name a few. I don't understand this. Is it related to ancient breeds from which they all were developed, is it related to their genetics, or is it coincidental?

hide.gif
All three of those you mentioned are completely different colors.

If you're asking about the combination of black and red, well, that's because you're looking at that. But also consider there's other colors like Silver Duckwing, Isabel Partridge, Silver Laced, Salmon, Splash, Golden Duckwing, Lemon Pyle, Lemon Blue, Blue, Chocolate, I could go on and on.

Yes, some colors are very similar in males (BBR vs Wheaten vs Black Copper) but that's because they are in a way similar, but still, genetically different, and the hens do look very different.

Throw in an extra gene (like silver, blue, columbian, dilute, lavender, dun, etc) and you'll get a very different looking rooster
smile.png

To answer your question directly - It has to do with both genetics and the origin Red JungleFowl (who was duckwing in color, which we still do have today in some domestic breeds, but we also have branching similar colors like Wheaten and Partridge)

Notable differences are the wing triangle and the breastcolor
Marans black wingtriangle black breast
RIR red wingtriangle red breast
Wheaten brown/red wingtriangle black breast

Back
Top Bottom