Why is this bad???

Quote:

Swiping or pushing with your foot is NOT abuse. A hard kick? Yes it might be considered abuse by some. But in the cases we have discussed in several threads, a swift kick has been instinctual during a full blown flogging attack. Pushing a rooster to the ground and making him submit, is NOT abuse, it is establishing dominance to correct or prevent a problem. And roosters that are hand raised, are the most likely to be aggressive to humans, especially if raised in a "lovey-dovey" fashion. So you be your roo's mama, I will be Alpha roo, altho I"m a girl. And pushing a roo off a hen with your foot when he attempts to mate is not abuse, it is simply letting him know that you are the boss. Just like an alpha would knock another roo off his hens.

Last edited:
Quote:
Ditto.

Really wise, experienced and realistic approach.

Thanks! My Mom had an aggressive rooster when I was a teen. I was the one he wanted to go after all the time. I was determined to NOT have an aggressive roo. I did hand raise Mylo, but I have used these techniques on him and they are working really well. He is an awesome roo.

And the thanks go to all of you here at BYC. This is where I learned these techniques.

And BTW, I said I'm a girl, was gettin wonky at the time. I haven't seen "GIRL" in like forever! I'm an old lady at 49 yrs, lol.

My silkie rooster was doing the dance at a fallen towel off the clothes line yesterday
lol.png

Quote:
Hey, towels can be really sneaky, y'know, trying to take over the top spot in a flock. Just 'cause they be layin' on the ground all helpless like don't mean they aren't masters of deception and cunning!
big_smile.png

Quote:
Hey, towels can be really sneaky, y'know, trying to take over the top spot in a flock. Just 'cause they be layin' on the ground all helpless like don't mean they aren't masters of deception and cunning!
big_smile.png

lau.gif

Steve.. He cracks me up.. He's always on look-out for those pesky towels.. Trying to get his women!!
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif

88a20bcb.jpg

ETA: He NEVER does it to me. He accepts cuddles quite willingly. He falls asleep on my lap, and has never acted aggressive... He's a little over a year old, so I don't know if I have to worry for the future or not!

Last edited:
Quote:
big_smile.png

lau.gif

Steve.. He cracks me up.. He's always on look-out for those pesky towels.. Trying to get his women!!
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif

http://i948.photobucket.com/albums/ad326/aoxa/88a20bcb.jpg

ETA: He NEVER does it to me. He accepts cuddles quite willingly. He falls asleep on my lap, and has never acted aggressive... He's a little over a year old, so I don't know if I have to worry for the future or not!

HEY! he's plumb purdy!

Quote:

Umm, I respectfully disagree. I don't consider that abuse. It's a very common method of dealing with ornery roosters and often works quite well. Not everyone can catch a rooster to carry it around. The other methods may work better for some roosters, but I wouldn't discount the tried and true boot to the bottom.
big_smile.png
After all, it's a classic!
tongue.png

I'm not so sure about the mother thing. Oftentimes, the roosters that become mean are the ones that were raised by hand and see people as their mothers. I've had much worse luck with mean roosters coming from hand-raised chicks than from chicks raised by hens. The rooster seeing a person as its mother can also lead to problems with dominance because eventually the rooster will mature and may decide that "mother" is just another hen in its flock that it should be dominant over.

Back
Top Bottom