Why isnt my rooster fertilizing my eggs when hes 11 months!

Quote:
So do you think I should wait for him? I wonder are barred rocks just layed back slow developers.

My barred rock is very docile but keeps the flock of 10 girls well fertilized. He is almost a year old, a very noisy boy! I was gifted a frizzle silkie at Christmas and I'm pretty sure he is a roo. My barred pays him absolutely no attention! Frizzie is about 6 months old so I'm watching to see if he/she crows over the next while. He runs and jumps up in my arms every morning when I go in the coop.

I'm going to ask what I am surprised nobody else thought to ask: how many hens are with your rooster? The desireable ratio is 10-12 hens for every rooster. If you have more hens than that he simply may not be able to keep up with the number of ladies who need attention, or he may have a few favorites that get all his attention. Also, if the majority of your hens are still fairly young, they may not be interested in his advances often enough. I've found that my newly laying pullets often still run from the roo for a while after they begin to lay...

just some ideas. Good luck!

Just read your bio at the bottom of your page...if you still only have that many hens, my idea is out the window...

Of course, if you have too few hens (less than say 5) in the coop with him, he may be stressing them to the point that they are refusing to let him mate...

Last edited:
Quote:
So do you think I should wait for him? I wonder are barred rocks just layed back slow developers.

My barred rock is very docile but keeps the flock of 10 girls well fertilized. He is almost a year old, a very noisy boy! I was gifted a frizzle silkie at Christmas and I'm pretty sure he is a roo. My barred pays him absolutely no attention! Frizzie is about 6 months old so I'm watching to see if he/she crows over the next while. He runs and jumps up in my arms every morning when I go in the coop.

Ohhhh Cute
smile.png

Yeah ill keep my roo, Since I have new chicks I most likely going to get another roo. Question! would around if I have 2 roost is around 20 hens enough for them? Right now I have 12, But by the time spring comes im most likely going to have 6-8 more, With the ones I have in the incubator, And the ones chicks I have in the coop who are 1 day old. ( I figure about 1/2 of the eggs are male and 1/2 female about ?? correct)

it depends on the rooster, mine doesn't like any other roo around and I have 38 hens!! I do have another roo that is pretty young, and so far, my older roo is handling him okay. However, he has killed 1 other roo, and ran off another (committed suicide, long story) and if you didn't see my earlier post 9 out of 12 eggs have already hatched, still waiting on the other 3.

Back
Top Bottom