Why isn't she broody??* UPDATE* SHE'S BROODY!!*

RoxyOtis

Songster
12 Years
Aug 28, 2008
Modesto, CA
I have a silkie/polish cross (I think)........just a guess on breed. I was wondering how come she doesn't go broody? I have had her for 2 years and not 1 time has she gone broody!!

I have a roo so the eggs are fertile.

I also have another question, I only get one egg a day from my girls so far so is she not going broody because she only lays one egg a day???

If she does go broody how many eggs does she need?

Thanks for any advice you can give me!

Last edited:
Yep, it's all hormonal and some birds just don't do it. I had a silkie of all birds NOT go broody when every other one in her family would as soon as they were like 9 months old.

I KNOW!! I heard they are SUPER broodies.......just my luck, a silkie and not broodiness!!
hmm.png

I have a non-broody silkie, and she lays big, nice looking, similar to store bought Grade A Large egg every day. Just got a white silkie rooster that is now integrated, stuck two of her big ol' eggs under Ugly Betty yesterday to see if they are fertile. I wouldn't actually mind having a few more of her. She barely eats much and produces like a large fowl! She is a bit of an evil flock queen though...

YAY!!! I think she is finally broody!
big_smile.png
cool.png
:lol:She is in her nest box with at least two eggs and whenever I get near her she puffs up and clucks at me......so I think she is finally broody.

I have a question though,.......Do I need to bring mamma and eggs into the house? It is going to get below 50 this week.

None of the other hens are broody, so she sleeps alone in the nest box, with nobody to cuddle.

I wouldn't worry about her getting cold. Just make sure she has a lot of straw, or other warm bedding material, to help keep her and the eggs warm. Good Luck!!

Back
Top Bottom