Why my Button Quails are not laying Eggs? :'( Help me Figure it out

they need a 25% plus protein feed. here in the states we use game bird crumbles or turkey feed. check to be sure it is not medicated. and chicken feed is not enough protein. you can increase the amount of protein by adding things to the diet like chicken egg that is hard boiled and mashed, even the shell will be eaten. insects are good for protein but not too many mealworm as they are fattening. do keep giving then oyster shell and grit.
They should not have a water bath. They love to dust bathe and should have it at all times. I use a pan of clean play sand and they flip it all over. too cute.

hope this helps. enjoy your little birds.

Last edited:
if the females were males theyll all fight
Not exactly, if there are no females present or within sight and sound of the roosters they may not fight,as there is nothing to fight over.

I keep roosters that are going to slaughter in a pen with nothing but roos, as long as they cannot see the girls, there is little or no fighting.

Yup, you may have even more girls than you think. The white button quails are hard to sex. Your cage is really nice! Love the colours. A little more room would be good for them! At least they are not fighting!

Best of luck!

I guess they don't lay eggs in a new environment. so they take time to settle in a new environment. And they will start to lay eggs after 4 months from the day the were bought.

Not exactly, if there are no females present or within sight and sound of the roosters they may not fight,as there is nothing to fight over.

I keep roosters that are going to slaughter in a pen with nothing but roos, as long as they cannot see the girls, there is little or no fighting.
Sounds like you are raising them from babies to slaughter size. Male quail start getting aggressive once they mature and begin the breeding/laying season. You are slaughtering them before they ever get to this point.

my qualis just started laying eggs . I bought them exactly 4 months ago.
Quail don't just poop eggs. The amount of light they get in a day dictates whether or not they will lay. Also when you re-home adult quail they will often stop laying for a couple weeks due to stress. Stress factors can interfere with their egg laying for long periods of time if they are consistent.

Most likely A. your birds were too young to lay, and B. it was the wrong time of year for them to lay without being provided additional light.

is it just me but I am pretty sure these are Texas A&M and a Golden Machurian aka Golden Italian. Meaning these are Coturnix Quail and NOT button quail
You are correct, but like I said I'd guess the owner figured that out a year or so ago when they kept on growing.

Back
Top Bottom