Why my chickens are eating their own eggs ?

Saludos

Hatching
10 Years
Mar 15, 2009
How can I stop this? they lay their eggs and when I am going to pick the eggs, they already ate them. Do anybody know how can I stop that ?

Thanks.

This has not happened to me but has happened to many others who post here. Use the "search" feature and see the remedies people have tried. Type of feed, amount of space, age, breed, etc. would have been helpful. Culling could be your only option, but read what else you can try first, particularly rollout nests.

Hint: At the bottom of the search page you can choose between topics and posts. I have found that searching by posts is much more helpful -- thanks to another post suggesting this....

Hi ther, I am new on this site. Where do I find the answers?

Thank you and have a nice evenning.

You can try putting wooden eggs in the nest boxes. The key to that working though is getting the real eggs out as soon as they are layed. You almost have to stand by and grab them out from under her. You then leave the wooden one there and when they try to eat it they don't get anything. Also make sure they are getting enough protein (a good layer feed 20% ) and calcium ( oyster shells ). Sometimes egg eating starts because they need more of those two things. If you can't break them of it you will need to cull them or you could try a roll out nest box (Murry McMurray Hatchery carries them although they are not cheap).
Good luck!

BOSS is great for protein.
smile.png

Quote:
I agree with this post....the only thing I would change is to put golf balls in the nest instead of wooden eggs. The golf balls in particular is VERY uncomfortable to peck at. It's like negative feed back. As they said, it's important to remove eggs often until the habit is gone.

This often starts with the chickens "needing" something like protein or calcium---You can give them some cat food __SHORT TERM__ to do a quick protein pick me up (wet or dry).

By the way BOSS...is black oil sunflower seeds...they can eat them whole with the shell

Good luck
Sandra

I designed a nest years ago that will pretty much stop this habit. I built one the other day becaus I had a group of breeders doing just that. If it quits raining in th next couple of days I'll get some pictures and details.

Back
Top Bottom