Why not feed chickens citrus?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by karlamaria, Jul 3, 2011.

1. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    It does not tell me why I'm sure chickens would love oranges and such. Why is this wrong?

2. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Quote:[​IMG]

I've asked myself this a bunch, never having found a satisfactory answer, and I know at least one person who ships with citrus for moisture. Some ignore it and don't like it, but honestly, is there a scientific basis for not feeding it to them??

3. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    It says that it MAY decrease laying, so no proof.

I've found that my chooks love citrus, they are still about 2 months away from laying so I have no worries right now. [​IMG]

4. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Mine won't eat it

5. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    If you did not give them anything to eat BUT citrus I can see how the acid intake might cause problems.

But I've tossed various kinds of citrus into my henyard many times over the years and no matter how it is presented they won't eat more than a little if it's been cut open. Sometimes they may clean out a grapefruit or an orange, but they just won't eat very much at any one time.

6. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    Mine don't get it often, but LOVE IT especially oranges, they'll eat it down to the rind is seconds.

7. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Are you referring to the "Treats Chart" here at BYC?
    If so someone relay needs to do some updating on that chart. There is some incorrect, incomplete, and misinforming information on it.

Citrus has been fed to poultry/ livestock for years.
    Citrus acid also is a main ingredient in nearly all poultry/ livestock electrolyte mixes, also Citrus "Sludge" is used in a lot of commercial feed rations with no ill-affects.
    There has been some studies done on Citrus in poultry feed and the Poultry Science Association posted the out come here http://ps.fass.org/cgi/content/abstract/55/4/1219

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  8. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    Thank you, I do see the chart here and when it says do not feed I do not, but I'm glad to know I can feed citrus foods if they like it. Thanks for the info Chris

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

That is some misinformation. There is no reason not to feed citrus to chickens. Some just don't care for it, but it shouldn't harm them.

10. ChickChickChicky

ChickChickChicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2011
    Greater Kansas City, MO
    I have been wondering about the "citrus ban" on feeding chickens. I, too, could not find a shred of evidence that citrus is harmful for chickens. Can somebody update the BYC page on what chickens can eat? Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by