Why not give others a chance

Competition is fun. Some people are luckier than others. If someone doesn't "win" whatever it is they are trying to win, then oh well. Better luck next time. Reminds me of the local radio station when they give out prizes to whatever caller they ask for. The callers could win every day of the week UNTIL they changed the rules because folks that weren't winning were upset and being cry babies and complaining. I was like, "HUH?" What are you upset about? Pick up the phone and call in just like the winners are doing. If you're too slow to dial the number then TUFF. Practice on your dialing skills.
gig.gif
So needless to say the rules have changed where a caller can only win 1 prize every 30 days.
somad.gif

If people who are "in need" spent less of their time playing games of chance and more of their time properly managing those assets that they do have -- both financial and otherwise -- they'd be far less "in need" in the future.

I think it's pretty dumb too.
If you have plenty, why not let someone else try?
I don't bother trying just because my luck isn't so great.
I know what you mean though!
I too hate competitive stuff....people get angry, people get sad, people just get upset!
It's just silly.

Quote:
I agree with this as well.
Like......why do food stamps allow you to purchase the easy foods?
People who have jobs who are paying for your food stamps should be buying the easy foods, as they have to work and what not?
You are home all day...why don't you cook something good for your family?
I like WIC...it's a bit more complicated.

I'm leaving now.
Before someone slaps me.
(I did not imply that all people with food stamps are unemployed, I'm speaking of the ones who are. And NOT the people who are unemployed because they can't find work...the people who would rather sit around and have fun on someone else's hard work. Those are the people I speak of. I've met a few.)

I don't get upset in an example like this because:
- It is set up as a game type situation with no obligation to play
- There is always someone out there who can be perceived as 'worse off'
- There are plenty of routes to get hatching eggs and chickens for cheap or for free (and feel that they are only truly needed for food type situations)
- I personally find lottery type money prizes to be amusing in a dark humor sort of way as our society tends to have this unfounded notion that those who work hard are the ones who reap material benefits
- I don't personally view competition or money as something that I should strive for, and have seen enough complete jerks win the gold trophy or live in upper economic brackets to not associate these things with positive changes
- A raffle is not going to offer enough support for someone who is in need of long-term aid

Those are just some reasons why I personally am not annoyed by raffle outcomes. I do find the trait of feeling a sense of unfairness for others to be admirable in most contexts though, so I am not trying to discourage that either.

Competition is fun. Some people are luckier than others. If someone doesn't "win" whatever it is they are trying to win, then oh well. Better luck next time. Reminds me of the local radio station when they give out prizes to whatever caller they ask for. The callers could win every day of the week UNTIL they changed the rules because folks that weren't winning were upset and being cry babies and complaining. I was like, "HUH?" What are you upset about? Pick up the phone and call in just like the winners are doing. If you're too slow to dial the number then TUFF. Practice on your dialing skills. gig So needless to say the rules have changed where a caller can only win 1 prize every 30 days

I think that can be oversimplified in some situations. Ie. I know of some people (well off or not) who do things such as buy programs that constantly speed dial for them, buy programs to electronically put in bids on ebid sites at the last second, buy a program that electronically submits votes from different IP addresses for contests that rely on votes, buy steroids, buy some form of enhancement...so yeah. Things like that kind of turn games of chance or skill into games of 'I have better resources'. Not saying that was the case with this particular radio contest, but I have seen it happen quite often.​

Last edited:
Quote:
There are things like that out there that people can buy??????? I had NO idea !!!!! WOW !!! I learned something new today. A program to constantly speed dial?
ep.gif
And a program that electronically submits votes?
ep.gif
Now that is just sad that people have to take it to that extreme. Now you're talking about winning on another level.
hmm.png

Yeah, I think when I first found out about them was wondering why someone on an art contest somehow got 2,000 votes overnight, when they were previously in last place. XD My husband enlightened me about some of the gadgets out there. I had no clue either!

Quote:
True, but the post is not really about this, but was about things where skill is not an issue--where it is simply random chance that determines the winner. Even if it is based upon skill, as long as the person is competing in the appropriate class, no one "deserves" to win because they are less financially fit.

Quote:
Not me! I think the millionaires can buy more tickets to increase their chances and it burns me up to hear of them winning! especially as you never hear of them giving a penny of it away!
and whenever I hear of poor Joe Shmoe winning I am truly happy for him. I try not to buy lottery tickets now that I am on a fixd income as I came to realise the odds were stacked against me so why waste my $.

I doubt there are many millionaires buying lottery tickets on a regular basis--if they were, they would no longer be millionaires. People who have earned money the hard way tend to appreciate the efforts it takes to have and keep their assets. Yes, they will spend some amount of money on whatever form of entertainment they prefer, be it golf, or books or even some gambling. But htey know far better than to think of that money as an investment.

I REALLY get annoyed when people think they should have the right to tell people how they should spend their money. "Why are you spending money on X? Y is a much better cause! Everyone should donate to Y!"

Let's change it from REAL winnings to a simple game where there are no stakes. Should person A, for whatever reason, bow out and let person B win? How is that fair to anyone?

Back
Top Bottom