Why only 16% available for layers?

Pics
Scratch and Peck Feeds makes an organic 18% corn and soy free layer feed, but it’s only available at retailers(check their website for locations, I found it at my local Ag Supply), and only in larger bags(40lbs) which I don’t mind. I get it for $32/bag... which is Actually $3 cheaper than buying the 25lb bags of 16% from their website, like I used to do(even though that has the added benefit of fast delivery and free shipping... so I’m sure it evens out)

I feed it to my flock because they free range and although that gives them access to a lot of insects, I am sure they are primarily eating plant matter. So the 18% is beneficial for my situation.

Reading this forum has become my daily obsession, there is so much information from all the postings! As an accidental chooks mom (or grandma since I inherited our spice girls from my daughter who left home for graduate school) I am hopelessly obsessed with our lovely chooks and I also have so much to learn.
All our chickens are girls, named after spices. We have 8 hens, they are all almost 7 months old. 6 of them started laying last month.

Perhaps I am thinking too much, but I am quite confused by the conflict between what the consensus from this forum shows with what is offered in the market place for layer feeds.

From what I learned from the forum, most people prefer flock raiser with 20% protein with oyster shell and grit on the side for their flock.
My main questions are:

If higher protein is important, why are all the layer feed that we can buy from big box stores only provide 16% of protein?
Are some important nutrients in these 16% layer feed not included in the 20% flock raiser? Moreover,
feeds with lower % of protein don't seem to be as tasty to chickens!

If chickens' preference is an indication, it also point to higher % of protein to be more desirable. Why do the feed producers think that 16% is sufficient for layers? Is costs the only driver to 16%?

Does anyone know where to find layer feed with > 16% protein?

All input welcome! Thanks in advance.
I'm sure the laying mash/crumbles is adequate, but for exhibition birds I always wanted game-bird breeder (what people feed to pheasants), a higher-protein mix. I just fed it to all the grown-up birds rather than keep track of different feeds. I guarantee it will keep your chickens in tip-top condition! In Phoenix, mine didn't even stop laying when we had a week with 116 and 120 degrees.

And good luck -- to you and all the other chicken beginners.

@Cindy in PA did you see Poulin came out with a “budget” feed to compete with TSC?
Difference is budget feed meet minimum requirements and premium feed meet optimum levels.
I love the Poulin. :love didn’t realize they made a budget feed now though. I’ll stick with the regular though haha I recently switched back to layer feed after having fed Purina Flockraiser for a while and while that was pretty good, I’m sooooo happy to be back on Poulin. :love

The eggs are so much better!

In fact, I have tried a lot of different feeds over the years including other layer feeds and always have the best egg quality and yolk color, etc. on Poulin. I feed the Egg Production Plus but the regular one is great too I am sure. I just prefer that one. But yeah. Poulin is amazing so if it’s available where people are located, I definitely highly recommend it!

Back
Top Bottom