why small eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by miron28, Aug 9, 2009.

1. miron28

miron28 Songster

Sep 8, 2008
    lenoir north carolina
    OK i have RIR and Domineckers and buff orpington and they are laying small eggs why? shouldn't they be laying medium to large eggs?

i went out today about bought 10 golden comets cause i want large eggs. i hope they lay better if so i will get rid of the rest and buy some that lay big eggs

2. deenamr

deenamr Songster

Jul 6, 2008
    Central Oregon
    How old are the hens laying the small eggs?

3. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    sometimes when they lay younger they are small. they usually get bigger. I am not sure the actual sizes those breed lay. what's a Domineckers ?

4. ChickyLaura

ChickyLaura The Crazy Chicken Lady

Mar 31, 2009
    Eastern/Central PA
    My amber-links just started laying eggs, and they're smaller than the "small" egg size from the grocery store. It takes awhile to get big eggs.

5. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    My understanding is that first eggs are small, and get bigger as the hen gets older. They lay fewer, but larger eggs over time. The longest I've ever had a hen is 4 years (darn predators!), and though her eggs got pretty large, her production was never that low. Pullet eggs are so small and cute!

6. Big C

Big C J & C Farms

Dec 15, 2008
    Vernon Texas
    Our current flock of rir, austrolorps and barred rocks are at 23 weeks. Started to get eggs at about 17 weeks. The ones that started laying first are now at the "large" or extra large"stage, then on down to medium size.
    An older flock at 32 week stage lays large to extra large daily with 85% productivity even with temps at or above 100 daily.
    You did not say how old the original flock was, but this should give some idea on age and production size.

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    My RIRs lay mostly large and x-large eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: