Why so against EE?

Jessica Rabbit

Mistress of Marans Manor
9 Years
Apr 27, 2010
Snohomish, WA
My question today is why are so many people against EE? Ameraucanas are simply a breed of chicken that was derived from the EE and Araucanas so why all the hate? I understand the need to seperate the definition once it has been defined as a standard but the hatred seems a bit out of hand?

"Ameraucanas were bred from Easter Eggers, a mixed non-standard breed derived from breeding the native South American Araucana with Old World varieties. The APA officially accepted Ameraucana as standard breeds in 1984."

I haven't seen any people who hate them. In fact, lots of people love them!
love.gif

I think what annoys people is when others start calling their obvious EE's, Ameraucana's. People have worked very hard on perfecting their lines and definitely don't want them being confused with EE's. JMO.

BTW, I have both and love them both!
smile.png
But if I were a breeder of purebred Ameraucana's, well....I'd be a tad annoyed myself!! lol

I don't think I've ever seen any "hate" of the EE, certainly not on BYC. What I have seen is repeated correction of the use of the terms for each classification of chicken -- because there is constant misuse of them by many members. Calling an EE by either of the other breed names is not only incorrect it's misleading and a detriment to the actual breeds at hand. It's only natural for owners and breeders of Ameraucanas and Araucanas to want to protect the breeds they're passionate about. I, personally, am not even an Ameraucana or Araucana fan, but it still drives me crazy when people incorrectly label their mutts as such. It has nothing to do with EEs at all, it has to do with the blatant misrepresentation of the bird.

I love EE's. I think what annoys people the most is that the hatcheries sell EE's as purebred Ameraucanas. When you buy from a hatchery you expect the birds to be purebred, and if they are not, they should advertise the breed as mixes.

the blatant misrepresentation happens at the hatchery level...you can't expect newbies who are SO EXCITED about their AAs to not call them EXACTLY what the hatchery called them and what the folks ordered, you know? there is a LOT of energy here to correct message board users...i wonder what it would be like if some of that energy went toward a petition, mandate. letters, etc. from BYCers, the APA, etc. to the hatcheries that do the mislabeling in the first place.

texas star, exactly! we were cross posting.
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
I think you said it better, but I remember being one of those people bringing home 3 "Ameraucanas" and wondering what colors I was going to end up with.

Back
Top Bottom