why such a talkative rooster? is something wrong

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Hippie Chic, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Hippie Chic

Hippie Chic New Egg

Nov 5, 2012
    So hello from missouri to yall, I am a newish chichen momma. I have had 3 full size layers for the last two years. Last winter my husband brought me 3 more chicks, one happened to be a rooster (Theo is his name). Problem is when he first started to crow he did it like 24/7 even at night every few minutes so annoying. Now he does it but not quite as often , is there a reason he is so talkative all the time just want a bit of sleep and less crowing. would it help to bring him in some new ladies to breed. Also I recently lost a momma with chicks to a coyote will the babies be ok with no guidance they survived the last week so far?
    this is my first "thread" . please let me know if I am doing this right I don't do much on the computer these days.

2. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    That is normal for rooster and is why some cities do not allow them - too many neighbor complaints about all the noise. I raised one up and thought maybe I could sneak him in under the radar. Not a chance!! lol

The chicks should be fine as long as you make sure to keep them warm enough. If they are not yet fully feather they will need a heat lamp. Search brooder in the threads for some good ideas. They do not need any guidance to be good chickens as the majority of their behaviors are instinctual.

Welcome and good luck!!

3. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

Roosters do love to crow - some of them a LOT. I have 6 and believe me you know when it starts to get light.

You can try keeping the chickens in their coop with windows toward the house closed until you get up in the morning, cuts the volume some.

4. nova022

nova022 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2012
    [​IMG]

5. Red Barn Farms

Red Barn Farms ~Friendly Fowl~

Apr 12, 2012
    Kentucky Heartland
    Hello and welcome to BYC from Kentucky. They do love to be heard! I have a few roosters who crow a lot and then one who is 6 months old who has not crowed yet!

[​IMG]

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Hippie Chic, and [​IMG]! Great to have you here. I guess I'm lucky - my rooster crows only about a dozen times in the morning. Then he's silent for the rest of the day. I know some people have some chronic crowers, however. Guess you have one of those. Best of luck to you!

8. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG]

9. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    :frow & :welcome from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by