Why the difference in listed weights?

Hermits Garden

Vintage American Featherless Biped
Oct 8, 2018
I've visited allllll the hatchery websites...looking at their listing for quite a few birds across all of them.

But there seems to be vast differences in the weights listed for mature chickens. Some have a barred rock (rooster/hen, respectively) listed at 9.5/7.5 lbs, and another has it at 6/5 lbs!

Does this mean the hatchery listing the lower weight has smaller birds? Or are they trying to under-promise and over deliver?

The closest hatchery near me is Privett (I'm in eastern Arizona) and it makes sense to get them from the closest source, but the weights for ALL their birds are way below the average for other hatcheries.

Please advise?

Many will list the weights in the Standard of Perfection, which is much bigger than they actually are, but it is supposed to be typical for the breed. Others may list weights you can expect for hatchery birds.

Weights listed in the individual breed standards are how the birds should be, but there's a range in any breeding program. Because, selecting for large size can also select against higher egg production, and people selling lots of chicks will favor high egg/ chick production, and ignore body size when choosing breeders.
In flock mating programs, eggs are collected from breeding pens, not identified by the individual hen producing each egg. So, a hen who produces more eggs per week will produce more offspring, and she may be smaller than the bigger hens in her group.
Breeding is interesting, and trying to produce birds who exemplify the best of that breed is hard!
Some hatcheries do a better job than others in sending chicks, of at least some breeds, that are closer to the ideal for that breed.
Show breeders sometimes ignore egg production qualities in favor of 'good looks', another issue.
Overall, as a person who doesn't show her birds, I've been happier with my hatchery birds, than the few birds I've had from show breeders. Just my experiences though.
Mary
Also, hatchery birds from breeds less popular just might be better quality; buff Plymouth Rocks rather than barred, for example.

Back
Top Bottom