Why wasn't I warned.. not to build a coop, or heck get chickens... Oh well too late now. New build started this weekend.

Rethink this. You will be fighting the heat everyday.
30 years ago when I lived in Atlanta, if we hadn't ridden by noon, it wasn't going to happen in the summer. Can't imagine walking around in a down coat in 90* with 70% humidity. Heat kills more chickens then cold. It is also so stressful that they stop laying. They won't return to the coop at night as it will be over 100* in there no matter how many windows and fans it has.
Get inspired by Royal chick's run. Beautiful functional design built with a firm understanding what a chicken needs. Every "coop" in the south should look that run.
Interesting. Definitely don't want to stress them out, my design. is sort of constrained by the HOA design standards for "shed" Was hoping to pretend there are no chickens here since "technically" the HOA says no. Well they don't say no to chickens, just no to livestock. Although I know of 2 houses here with chickens so we will see. There are so many bigger violations by other neighbors hopefully my little rebellion will go under the radar..

That said the coop/run gets sun from about 10 am till 1-2 pm then full shade. Ill need to do a little more planning... The chicks are still yellow fluff balls so I have a couple weeks!

So the wife bought 4 chicks from Tractor Supply, I know story old as time..

But alas here we are, First thought was Eglu Cube w/run, 2nd thought was cute but too small and heck I can do better for $1800

Well goodbye greenhouse hello coop spot.. and a busy weekend later and the new coop is taking shape. Not sure what the final shape will actually be since I am not one to use or draw out plans.

But the basics are - 6x7 coop and attached 6x10 run plus 75% of the coop is high enough off ground for more run space. Shingled roof over both parts (I live in a HOA community so best it looks like a shed) Coop has 4' walls and is 6' at highest roof portion. 2/3 of the side will swing open for cleaning. Going with the "best nest box' type of nesting box. 3 x openable windows and gable vents for fresh air..

So first off.. Holy heck $9 for a 2x4x8 non PT Pine!!!!

Questions...

1. Is there such a thing at a too tall run? given the slope of the yard the far end of the run will have 8'walls with 10' to apex of roof. is this ok?
2. Is it ok to wall off the back of the run with a solid material? the other 2 sides will be mesh but the back I want to cover with something so the neighbors dogs cannot see the birds. I assume this is fine but better to ask..

View attachment 3031658View attachment 3031659View attachment 3031660View attachment 3031662View attachment 3031663
Great look but I have a more basic question. Did you check your city or county ordinances? In my last and current one there was a distance requirement from residential buildings.

Great look but I have a more basic question. Did you check your city or county ordinances? In my last and current one there was a distance requirement from residential buildings.
yes, we do have a county ordinance. We are just barely within the rules distance wise. It is rated as distance from other residences, not our own, we are allowed to be as close there as we want. Fortunately we are in a chicken friendly county. The biggest limitation is the amount of chickens based on lot size. Our limit is 10.

You can still make it look shed-like while providing an open-air design, and not changing too much of what has already been built. It is really just about having hardware cloth on some walls instead of plywood. Think something along these lines:

@gtb66 's awesome Carolina Coop knock-off. Looking at this end of the run, you said you wanted it solid also the neighbor's dogs couldn't see the birds, but keep the rest open and the coop would also be open into the run, no wall between.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-carolina-coop.1459400/

2CDB088B-E5FC-44B2-80D2-EF5B4AF6343D.jpeg

@3KillerBs also linked an outstanding design for a hot climate with the same idea:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/jens-hens-a-southern-texas-coop.75707/

IMG-8413.jpg

This view is looking from the run into the coop. Notice there is no wall between.
61031604246--6FB8EC72-218D-453F-BE0A-5F4CDCCF7D4B (1).JPG

OK, so redirect.. how does it go, ounce of planning worth a pound of cure?

Wife and I re-evaluated our placement and she is worried and now I am too that the "Chicken Shed" is going to draw the ire of the HOA since it is not towards the "rear" of the property as required by our association.

So.... going to move it. How? Not sure Probably skids and rollers.. Ill let you know how it goes tomorrow!

From the side yard to the rear in the wood line is thankfully downhill,

Thanks, the coop will have open rafter ends as well as a ridge vent, gable vent and 3 windows that open.. Was also toying with powered vents as well.. Hopefully the temperature will be will managed.

When purchasing ridge vent pay careful attention to the amount of air it moves. You're looking for square feet, not square inches. :)

Thanks, the coop will have open rafter ends as well as a ridge vent, gable vent and 3 windows that open.. Was also toying with powered vents as well.. Hopefully the temperature will be will managed.
It looks like the "front " of the coop will be open to the run. If you design that wall as mostly open the run will protect the coop from rain and allow for at least one wall to be open. That could help you with heat.

Attachments

• 1647949776563.png
    1647949776563.png
    353.7 KB · Views: 4
Well that was a pain in the booty. Coop is relocated and being re-leveled. Now located in the rear of the yard under the trees. I’ll keep the run facing wall mostly open with hardware cloth so the birds can be closed up when need.

Building resumes Thursday, rain tomorrow for us . Then New footers.

For now Advil and bed! That was a bit much for this 40 yr old to tackle solo.
FE53CEFB-EEEB-4EB5-BF1C-BDAD10E9BDEA.jpeg
DEBDC279-5C3C-4E0A-9191-002599FF2E00.jpeg
93066C7D-9A6F-41DA-B9D8-5FBBA9A59A2B.jpeg
2623B613-3388-40AE-9573-B115FBCA77FF.jpeg
73E2F44C-19C4-45AA-A7ED-1BCA979F7B8F.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom