Why? Why? Why??????

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by gritsar, Sep 1, 2011.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Why are chickens so weird??????

I recently added another nestbox to my larger coop, bringing the grand total of nestboxes to 7 if you don't count the broody crate that's in use right now. That's seven nestboxes for 17 pullets and hens; two of which - my little polish and the minorca - are not yet laying.

In my brahma coop I only have three nestboxes.

So why, when I let all the chickens out this morning, did I see...

1. Two of the nestboxes in the larger coop with two hens a piece in them (while other boxes were unoccupied)?

and

2. Three of my younger hens make a beeline for the brahma coop nestboxes?

[​IMG]

2. Honeysucklefeathers

Honeysucklefeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2011
    western KY
    [​IMG] mine all use the same box, theres 9 boxes for 11 hens! Crazy chickens [​IMG]

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Aren't they funny? I have four nest boxes, and my gals only lay in the one box. I have nine laying hens right now. SILLY GIRLS! [​IMG]

4. Scooter&Suzie

Scooter&Suzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    I know hens like their nest to be in a private area... Is that why? Of course if life did originate from pond scum, not that I believe it did, I wouldn't be surprised if chickens are a bit nuts...

5. Cattitude

Cattitude Chillin' With My Peeps

Hens down at the Farm have their choice of 3 old dresser drawers with straw in them. Most of them lay in the highest box. Then you have the weird ones who lay their egg on the floor in the corner. [​IMG]

6. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Quote:Who are YOU calling weird, lady? [​IMG][​IMG]

I have a tractor with twelve ISA Browns in it. The nest box contains three nests. Every day we take 10-12 eggs out of the same nest. There won't be any at all in the others. Every day.

Another tractor has White Leghorns in it - twelve of those too - again with three nests in the box. Every day we'll take 9-11 eggs out of the same nest. The center nest is always empty. The remaining nest may have 1-2 eggs in it. Every day.

Still another tractor is full of Easter Eggers. They've only been laying these last couple of weeks. It has four nests in the box. Every day the eggs will be evenly split between the two outside nests and the center two will always be empty. In fact I think I'm going to stop putting litter in those two at all.

Regardless of species girls share many of the same behaviors...

7. Uniontown Poultry

Uniontown Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 8 hens and 5 nest boxes. Eggs are laid in only the one nestbox, period. The other nest boxes are like little sleeping berths, each with a hen or a couple silkies curled up in them at night. Silly things!

8. surgerynut

surgerynut Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Leavenworth, KS
    Mine are the same way. 7 nesting boxes & I never have to look past the 1st 2 for my eggs.[​IMG]

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Why are chickens so weird? (Or more appropriately: Why are Gritty's chickens so weird.

Prestige units in the brahma house.
    Simply because they are chickens?
    Imp is having some fun?
    They live in SW Ark?
    At Gritty's? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Scooter&Suzie :

I know hens like their nest to be in a private area... Is that why? Of course if life did originate from pond scum, not that I believe it did, I wouldn't be surprised if chickens are a bit nuts...

The nestboxes, large covered kitty litter pans, are identical in make, size and color. The only difference at all is that the ones in the brahma coop are slightly higher. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by