Why will a hen sit on rotten eggs??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by edb, Jul 23, 2011.

1. edb

edb Chillin' With My Peeps

I've only had chickens a few years and I have never seen this till now. I've had a black Australorp hen sitting on eggs about 3 weeks. I started getting a really bad odor from the hen house. I eased the hen up only to find very rotten eggs. I moved her and cleaned the nesting box so I just checked the next hen(a big brown"Production" hen) and it was the same. Do I need to get Dr. Phil to talk to my hens? Put them POULTRY PROZAC?? Did they have unhappy chic-hoods or what? I need advise on this one.
    The rest of my hens nested in bushes around my yard and now have lots of babies chasing them around, could it be something in the hen-house?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Instinct is strong, and chicken intelligence is low. I would clean and disinfect the nest boxes as there is probably a high bacterial load in them. Then provide clean nesting material and subsequent nesting attempts should be successful. If other hens are getting into the nests with the broodies andd cracking or breaking eggs this problem is difficult to resolve.

3. edb

Thanks sourland!
    The nesting area got a good wash, bleach wash and steam cleaning as soon as I vacated the hens.

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I guess time will tell since you disinfected the nest box and if anyone lays in it and maybe tries to brood in it.

5. edb

It dried in our million degree weather yesterday and there are fresh eggs in it this morning.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by