Why will they only eat caked corn

Bamas-Chicks

Chirping
May 4, 2019
COLUMBUS GA
I have 4 chickens,2 wyanndottes,1 Golden Comet and a sex link. I feed them a mix of layer pellets,black sunflower seeds,oyster shells and a 5 grain scratch all mixed together. Why is it all they do is pick the corn out and eat it? I want them to get a balanced diet.

Because they like it.

If I were you I would stop mixing these things together. Your birds are going to end up suffering by eating this way.

Feed them the layer pellets only.

All of the others are like feeding them candy and chips...it is taking away from them getting a balanced diet.

Because they like it.

If I were you I would stop mixing these things together. Your birds are going to end up suffering by eating this way.

Feed them the layer pellets only.

All of the others are like feeding them candy and chips...it is taking away from them getting a balanced diet.
I mix 85% layer pellets and 5%, each of the other 3

I mix 85% layer pellets and 5%, each of the other 3
I'd stop immediately.

You are already noticing they're going straight for the cracked corn...right?

Maybe only one hen eats all the corn and just she isn't getting a balanced diet.

You don't want your birds to get fat.
Fatty liver kills quick.

I'd stop immediately.

You are already noticing they're going straight for the cracked corn...right?

Maybe only one hen eats all the corn and just she isn't getting a balanced diet.

You don't want your birds to get fat.
Fatty liver kills quick.
Ok, I also have a bag of just layer crumbles I will start giving them by itself. I will use the other as a treat once a week or so

Imagine setting dinner plates in front of children. On the plate are serving portions mashed potatoes, Hershey kisses, roast beef, MnMs, broccoli, and jelly beans. What do you think they are going to eat? Stop giving treats mixed in. Treats should only be 10% of their diet at most. Corn is a treat, as are sunflower seeds and scratch or fruit mixes you can get for them. Id3wait several weeks before reintroducing any sort of treats.

Ok, I also have a bag of just layer crumbles I will start giving them by itself. I will use the other as a treat once a week or so
Perfect.
You only have four right?

Don't give them (total) more than about 1/4 of a cup once a week.
They don't need treats.

A chicken should eat about 3/4 a cup of feed per day.
If you are feeding most of this in treats you are almost guaranteed to have problems down the road.

Back
Top Bottom