Why won't he stand up to her???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by teach1rusl, Jul 18, 2011.

1. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Our little d'uccle roo is about 3 yrs. old. He's with four big girls, all almost 2. He's been with them since last summer, and after his quarantine period, it took him all of 5 minutes to assert his authority (despite him being 1/3 their size); they accepted him pretty much from the get-go. All will at least halfway squat for him (although he's generally up at the shoulder area). He treats them well, calls them for treats, does all of the "good roo" things.
    But for the past two or three weeks, I've noticed my buff orp girl going after him, a few times after he jumped on her to mate, but more often lately she goes after him when food is involved, and sometimes for no reason that I can see. [​IMG] She's got him good a few times, grabbed his comb, and sent him squawking.
    My question is, why does he not retaliate?? I know she's got several pounds on him, but she's at the bottom of the pecking order with my girls, and I've seen him (last year) put my lead hen "in her place." So why do you think he's allowing my buff girl to push him around????

The two birds in question:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  2. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

He is so adorable. He must have forgotten to call after he promised he would. [​IMG]

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Umm, because she's 4 times his size?

4. bustermommy

bustermommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    And forgot to send flowers the next morning. And missed her b-day.

5. LilliansMamaw

LilliansMamaw Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2011
    And let's not even talk about what happened on Valentines Day.....[​IMG]

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    It was really the missed anniversary that started the problem.

7. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

[​IMG] Okay guys...thanks! I know she's an amazon compared to him, but I still think he's "allowing" her to behave that way, and I guess I was just wondering why. His poor comb looked really bad last week where she'd gotten hold of it. Just trying to figure out chicken thinking...

8. ddmiddle7

ddmiddle7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    Quote:Good luck...Lol I am new to chickens this year, but I can already tell that is one of thing we will probably never figure out. [​IMG]

9. jodiea60

jodiea60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Arkansaw
    Girls can be sooo "Frickle"!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by