Why won't my chickens go outside????????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by celticfarmer, Dec 3, 2010.

1. celticfarmer

celticfarmer Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2009
    Northern MN
    I have a confession to make.

I have 6 hens in a coop made for 4.

Ok now that we have established my guilt, the little buggers have been outside once since the snow first started in November.

There are two BO's, one Marans, two RIR's, and one that I have no idea what her genetic make up is.

But they all fart around in the coop all day and won't go outside.

What the heck?

The strange thing is that I am getting between 4 and 6 eggs a day out of this crew.

What do you guys think?

[​IMG]

2. caspernc

caspernc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Z town NC
    Lucky YOU! your doing something right.

3. swimmer

swimmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2010
    Utah
    If there is snow on the ground, they probably don't want to walk in it. If they aren't fighting in thier coop, then I wouldn't worry.

1 person likes this.
  4. rungirl

rungirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    They're probably keeping each other warm!

5. rolffamily

rolffamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    It's probably too late now for you to start this ritual, but a few weeks ago I started their day out buy opening the coop door and then walking around to the run door shaking my jug of BOSS to let them know I was going to toss a fistful around their pen. They all come running outside to get the treat, although they might be hestitant some days when it's frosty or snowy. (We haven't had any accumulations at all yet). It does, however, get them out to experience whatever weather is happening since they are young and might avoid the frost and snow but, of course, they will not pass up a treat.

6. streetglide

streetglide Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2010
    I've got the opposite problem! Mine go out in the morning and don't/ won't come in until dark! Wind, cold, rain, they don't seem to care...go figure.

7. NottinghamChicks

NottinghamChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:We are in NH and it just started getting cold and the water is now freezing. I only kept the food and water outside so that they come out each day. But, wouldn't you know it, that as soon as the weather turned they stopped coming out! I let them go for four days and then finally put a small Fortex bowl with water and some grain and grit inside. The only way they want to come out is if I am home and let them free range, LOL! I don't think they like the cold sand and stone on their feet, [​IMG]

8. NewbyJan

NewbyJan Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2010
    Littleborough
    we have 4 chickens and they stand on the step of the hen house sqwaking until I have cleared the snow from their run in the mornings at the moment while we have snow on the ground. Today the only way I could get them out of the run was to clear a path to the back door! They stood at the edge of the snow waiting for the next part of the path to appear in front of them - very comical!!!!

9. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    very strange but on days they cant free range have to stay in coop and run I get more eggs too. Guess they are bored so figure lets lay an egg then mom will be happy and let us out. [​IMG]

10. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    A lot of chickens hate walking in snow. Mine sure do! Covering the run to keep out most of the snow helps a lot here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by