Why won't my ducks stop YELLING?

EvaluationUnit

Songster
Aug 8, 2020
Hey all,

I don't know what to do here, so I'm hoping someone can give me some ideas. I bought 4 new ducklings this year in early April who are now out with my other ducks in their caged in run. The problem is, most of the "babies" keep screaming all the time. Every 2 minutes or so I hear the "AHHHH AH AH AH AH" quack of my cayuga, or my blue runner, or my welsh harlequin. Basically they take turns driving me nuts. I have a camera in their run and can see them from the window when they yell, so I know it's not just one of them.

All 4 are imprinted on each other and are their own little flock. They follow one another everywhere, whereas the other 5 older ducks try to steer clear of them. When they're screaming like this I check to see if anyone got "lost" somewhere (nope), if they are out of food or water (nope), if the pool is empty somehow (not it), or if someone is picking on them (not it). I give them weeds to root around in which stops them for about five minutes. I feed them treats like mealworms and peas. They look lovely in shape and color. I have checked all their feet for bumblefoot and their wings, eyes, and noses for ailments. Nothing. I have been hoping they will simply grow out of this screaming, but lately it's gotten worse and more frequent, and I'm afraid the neighbors will start to complain. One duck yell? Fine. But every 2 minutes? I don't blame them for being annoyed.

Any ideas to get them to shut their traps? Appreciate it!

Can’t move?
He can move, just not well. He has a bone infection in his joint so it's a real difficult for him to get around, so he doesn't chase or harass any of the females. We're working on it - he's been through the rounds already with all kinds of other treatment. You can read about him here if you want. He's going in for laser treatment next month so I'm hoping that will help him.

My ducks (all female flock) have also been shout quacking from their 30x30 aviary for the last 6.5 years. They have all their needs and more met. I can only conclude that they are very important ducks with a lot to talk about.

Other members regularly post about this. Sometimes they talk to their neighbors and discover that their neighbors don't mind the quacking at all. Some members offer free eggs to keep people friendly to their ducks. Fortunately my neighbors like my quacking ducks.

I can't imagine my neighbors getting upset with quacking, especially since there's a river with wild ducks running through all our properties. It's just the yelling quack happening all. the. time. Like girls, what do you have to be upset about??

I keep trying to catch the neighbor I think it would affect most outside and give him some eggs but he is like a recluse. Maybe some day he will get some delicious duck eggs!

Back
Top Bottom