Why won't my hen eat?

MamaHen1st

In the Brooder
Jun 3, 2021
My hen has had a dirty butt with brown feces for about a week and she has not been eating. She has been avoiding the other hens a little and doesn't run like the other's when I give them food. She is lethargic and barely walks anymore. She is way more timid than the other's even though I hatched and raised her, she would fight to be picked up sometimes before she got sick, but she doesn't anymore. Please let me know what you know and what I can do at home to help her!

How old is she and does she lay eggs? How does her crop feel—empty and flat, full, hard, dough like or puffy? Do you have any pictures of her? Have you wormed her lately, and with what? Cannyou feel of her breastbone to see if she has lost weight? Also feel of her lower belly between the legs, to see if it is enlarged or swollen. Can you give her some Poultry NutriDrench and encourage her to drink some water?

Last edited:
She is about 2-3 years old and she does lay eggs. Her crop feels like it has little food in it. I don't have any picture's of her. I haven't wormed her lately. I can definitely feel her breastbone, she has lost weight. I didn't feel between her legs to see if she was swollen or enlarged, but I will. I will encourage her to drink and I will look into Pouktry NutriDrench. If there is anything else you can tell me, please let me know! Thank you!

How old is she and does she lay eggs? How does her crop feel—empty and flat, full, hard, dough like or puffy? Do you have any pictures of her? Have you wormed her lately, and with what? Cannyou feel of her breastbone to see if she has lost weight? Also feel of her lower belly between the legs, to see if it is enlarged or swollen. Can you give her some Pouktry NutriDrench and encourage her to drink some water?
She is about 2-3 years old and she does lay eggs. Her crop feels like it has little food in it. I don't have any picture's of her. I haven't wormed her lately. I can definitely feel her breastbone, she has lost weight. I didn't feel between her legs to see if she was swollen or enlarged, but I will. I will encourage her to drink and I will look into Pouktry NutriDrench. If there is anything else you can tell me, please let me know! Thank you!

That was Poultry NutriDrench, sorry for my mispelling. It is found at most feed stores, and is an electrolyte and vitamin drench that canngive a quick boost.

Many hens over 2-3 can suffer from cancer, reproductive disorders, crop disorders, and other illnesses. Valbazen and SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer are very good and safe wormers for chickens.

Update! My hen this morning was refusing to walk, so my dad helped me with getting her in a warm tub of water to lubricate her and get the feces off her butt. In the middle of the warm bath she started to drink, so we got her some water then she stood up and wanted out. After we took her out we cleaned and dried her off. I got the Poultry NutriDrench and gave her some. When we were giving her the Poultry NutriDrench she got up and walked away. She is doing better than she was this morning and we are going to keep an eye on her.

Back
Top Bottom