Why won't my hens use the indoor roost?

Xtina

Songster
11 Years
Jul 1, 2008
Portland, Oregon
My husband built this coop about 4 years ago, and for a few months, the girls used the indoor roost. Since then, they won't go near it and it is completely unused. I have no idea what it is about the roost that upsets them. And since I'm on the topic of my coop problems, how come my ladies all lay in the same nesting box instead of using different ones? Sometimes the selected box alternates, but I have 4 hens and 4 boxes. It doesn't make sense that they only use one!

Here's the outdoor roost
IMG_7836.jpg

And here's the indoor roost:
(there's no longer an extension cord running over it)
IMG_7843.jpg

That's simple....take down your outdoor roost. They simply don't need to roost in the daytime in the outdoors. This leaves only one alternative...and I see nothing wrong with your inside roost except maybe a little small in diameter.

To a chicken, your outside roost is the highest point. Eliminating that choice is the first step to getting them to use the inside roost.

ETA: Rechecked the perspective of roost and coop....small coop, small roost.

Last edited:
All I can say is when I made an outside roost mine would much rather get on that. I would have to remove it come winter so they would go in the coop. Maybe try removing it for awhile. As far as the nest boxes go that's just a normal thing with chickens. I have 18 with 8 nest and they might use 3. And they have always been like that.

Thanks guys! I had considered taking away the outdoor roost, but I was afraid it would cause them some kind of problem. I think I'll put my husband on that project this weekend. Sooo much garden work to do!

Quote:
Oh please don't mention garden work!! I've got weeds taller than me!!
th.gif
Can you say I let it go to pot this year!!
hide.gif

Just a bit of advice, you might have to physically put them in the coop for a couple of nights. I had to with mine!! They were so lost when it was gone!!

frow.gif
Our chickens did not like our round, dowel roost, so we got a 2 x 2 & they use that (we routed the sharper edges). I don't know if the rounded one was more slippery or what. But now I have a 1 1/2" dowel rod to do something with...maybe a potted plant holder or something.

Glad I'm not the only one who's neglected the yard! Looking back at these pictures from when my coop was new is making me feel nostalgic. It looks so run-down now after 4 years in the rain!

I was going to say to change the roost too, I use 2X4's in all my coops, with the 4 inch side for them to roost on. Chickens don't grasp with their feet like other smaller birds do when they roost. They much prefer to stand on the roost and nestle down over their feet to keep them warm.
As chicks they'll roost on something round, but as they get older...they prefer the flatter surface.

Quote:
I have heard this. I use a 2x2 but when we build our new coop I'm going to use 2x4's flat!! I've heard it's better on their feet and when it's cold they can sit on them better!!
idunno.gif

Is the indoor roost over the nest box? It's hard to tell from the pic, but you mentioned your had four nesting boxes and I'm not sure if you meant they are all inside the coop in the picture.

It may be that they don't like roosting over the nest or something?

Back
Top Bottom