1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Why won't my new pullets lay any eggs??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by paxicotrader, Oct 23, 2010.

1. paxicotrader

paxicotrader Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2009
    Does anyone know why our Delaware hens aren't laying any eggs, even though they are well fed and watered and free ranged? In many sources we've read that they grow and mature quickly, but that doesn't seem to be the case with ours at all. We've kept a wide variety of breeds from the beginning and always see that first egg around 5 to 7 months. But our Delawares are going on 8 months now and have produced nothing.

In all respects they are vigorous and healthy, are excellent foragers and look to be full grown (they are already bigger than our 2 year old Orpingtons and Australorps).

2. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    If they are free-ranging, is there a possibility that they are hiding eggs somewhere?

If not, I'm as stumped as you, I have a whole group of 7-8 month old pullets that have not laid yet. I keep telling them they better start before rooster-butchering day gets here, or they may end up fried!

3. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    they are all roosters!!! [​IMG] (just kidding [​IMG] )

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by