why won't she roost?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by twister, Nov 14, 2009.

1. twister

twister Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Mississippi
    I have a yr old hen and just within the last few weeks, she refuses to go to roost. She used to be the one that would dominate the perch, but now, she won't even get on the perch. she is in the coop , but on the floor. I have been going in nightly and manually putting her on the roost. is there any 'rule' or advisement of just letting her be? Let her sleep on the floor? She is not ' under' the other birds and is not in danger of getting pooped on. they are locked up tight at night, so a predator issue has not been an issue. Can I let her sleep where she wants? She is my fav hen. I do not understand why she would change after a year of roosting.

2. chixie

chixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    kountze texas
    I am no expert but it sounds to me like she is now on the bottom of the pecking oreder... maybe someone with more experience will post something

3. Jacob42

Jacob42 Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2009
    Saginaw MN
    We have 3 polish who used to own the roost and our silkies slept on a plastic tub, but now our polish girls have been sleeping on the floor and the silkies enjoy the roost. I dont think it has anything to do with the pecking order. I think our polish sleep on the floor because they are under the light and it is warmer than on the roost. The silkies love it tho because they used to have to sneek on to the roost and would get pushed off at bed time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by