Why won't they go outside?

CANDLE98

Songster
11 Years
Dec 29, 2008
Meridian Idaho
I have 10 week old chicks and I cut them a door and opened it for a couple of days now, but they won't go outside. Should I throw them out? They seem interested when I call them from the outside, but none of them will take the chance. Is that weird?

Because they are Chicken. I wouldnt throw them out, but might carry a couple out, once one or two find it to be safe the others will follow.
frow.gif

Take a couple outside and place them just in front of the open door. That way they can see each other and may be enticed to check it out. Is it cold where you are? Maybe they are thinking "Are you nuts? The wind is blowing!
gig.gif

Quote:
Ha ha you said because they are chicken... I love this site! Yeah I wasn't going to literly thow them out, I was going to place them nicely outside!
big_smile.png

Yeah, ours wouldn't go out either the first few days. Once out they wouldn't go back in. Eventually they realized that their food was in there. The Roo went in and checked it out. Ours are 10 weeks also. We put them out when they were 7-8 weeks because our weather has been so mild this year. Oh we also put food on their gangplank thing leading up to their door. Don't worry, they'll get the idea eventually.
fl.gif
D.gif

Your alpha girl will take care of this for you, in time, but meanwhile treats offered out there will help and you should stay with them as their human mother. Once they start, well, you'll see!
lol.png

Be sure the ramp has foot supports close enough for their widdle feet...

Hey there! I just went through this with my own chicks yesterday... mine are only 4.5 weeks old, but same thing. We did successfully get them outside, though.

I am blogging about it and I took lots of pics and explained the whole process in my post last night. Please check out my blog if you would like to read about how we did it!

http://lisahaschickens.wordpress.com

good luck to you!

Last edited:
Quote:
What are the foot supports? Can't they just walk up the ramp? It is only like 12 inches or so.

Thanks you guys for the support!

at 10 weeks they are still babies you cant expect them to act like adult birds give them a couple more months then they will act like the chickens you see on TV

Back
Top Bottom