Why won't they lay eggs?

QuoVadis

Chirping
6 Years
Sep 15, 2013
I have a pair of rollers I am trying to figure out why the won't lay eggs... they have been paired for over a month, have a nest box they have claimed, but they still haven't laid eggs. Is it possible they are both cocks? The one I think is the hen did initially seem a bit "cocky" - but when I put her in a pairing box with a known hen they displayed no breeding behavior, and shortly after I took "her" out she paired with the cock she is with now. They are definitely paired, though come to think of it I haven't seen them mating much - but that could just be that they are and I'm not there all the time. They are healthy, and though they are from a late batch last fall, another hen the same age is on eggs, so the hen should be old enough.

Any ideas? Otherwise I might try breaking them up because I have an unpaired roller hen and cock I could put each with and see if they snap into breeding mode then.

Every fancier I know has made a similar pairing it seems. I think you hit the nail on the head.
Hmm, yeah I was wondering, because I have heard of two females pairing together... but it seemed somewhat unlikely because they paired together on their own when there were other females available in the loft. Would they really do that in that situation? Also when I put the "hen" of this pair with another hen, I got zero pairing behavior. I guess I'll split them up and see if I can figure out the "hen's" sex for certain.

That does not matter about them choosing their own mate.

In my loft I have more males then females.... but I have 2 female / female pairs that won't accept any males... very frustration. So I have some extra males causing problems being bullies.

I use these female pairs to hatch out eggs from other nests... at least they can be useful.

Back
Top Bottom