Why won't they roost???

Charlene

Songster
11 Years
Mar 21, 2008
My chicks are about 7 weeks old and they just never seem interested in roosting. At night they are in a large dog kennel with a roost (that swings, it's hung on strings) that they never sit on. In the day they're in a stall and I set up a mini-roost with a dowel on two upside down buckets. They prefer to flop in a heap in the shavings.

The thing is I am hoping they can be free range 100% at some point. I have many friends with chickens who successfully roost up high in their barns. But it seems like if mine continue to flop on the ground that they'll be in danger of getting eaten
sad.png

Any ideas why they would be so ground oriented???? What can I do to entice them to roost? I even put one on the roost today and she just jumped right off. BTW, I have very rarely seen them on the one in the kennel.

It does take time for them to learn to use a roost. Just keep trying to put them on the roost and they will eventually get it.

As for the roost, I dont think they like ones that swing. I think they want something solid to sit on.

Give them time, they will figure it out
wink.png

Shannon

They are too young. they'll gradually seek out a higher spot to roost. Mine slept on the ground until they were 3 months then suddenly poof! they all jumped up to the roost!

The roost needs to be stationary. Chickens don't have the best balance. Are you setting them up on the perch at night? I do that to teach them.

Matt

Quote:
This is the way mine were too. I thought that there was something wrong with them and then once day I had one on the roost and within a week they were all up there.

I made really nifty roosts for mine out of old branches from the brush pile. What do they roost on? The 2" x 2"s that I have to prop the lids open; they're stored right inside the brooder. Maybe the chicks prefer the flat surface.

Back
Top Bottom