Why won't they roost?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by AllenInTampa, Jan 25, 2012.

1. AllenInTampa

AllenInTampa Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2012
    Last night was the 3rd night here at their new home. First 2 nights, I only managed to get 3 of them inside(2 slept underneath coop). Yesterday evening I made a point to get them inside at least 20 minutes before it got totally dark and close door. 4 sleep on the floor in the pine shavings, one flew up. The one on roost has slept in same spot each night

Is sleeping on the floor a normal characteristic, or will they fly up in due time? To my knowledge all the birds from where I got them from were roosting at night. Well, at least I saw roosting poles with evidence they were sleeping there

[​IMG]

2. devora

devora Chillin' With My Peeps

So you got these girls recently? Yes, it can be normal for them to not roost but they look pretty big, how old are they? If you want them on the roost, put 'em up there!

How did they get under the coop? If they are new to this coop they need to acclimate to it. I lock my into the coop for a few weeks before letting them out.

Btw, love the branch!

3. AllenInTampa

Jan 8, 2012
    According to the seller, the whole flock they had was 6-8 months old. I am getting three eggs a day so far out of the 5! I built the coop elevated 20" to not lose out on any ground space in the run
    Thanks!

4. devora

devora Chillin' With My Peeps

At that age they should be roosting. Put 'em on the roost; they'll catch on.

If your coop is the truly predator-proof part of your housing gig (as it is for most) and your run is for daytime (i.e. not as safe), then you need to lock them into the coop until they all understand that that is where they sleep.

5. ChickenCrazy8

ChickenCrazy8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Canada, Ottawa
    My Coop
    When I put my to chickens in their new coop they wouldn't perch at all. After a few nights of them sleeping on the ground I decided to go out when their light went out and put them on the perch. I put them on the perch probably 3-4 nights in a row and then on the 4 of 5th night I went outside and they'd figured out how to get up on the perch themselves!!!

6. ChickChickChicky

ChickChickChicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2011
    Greater Kansas City, MO
    I had a couple that at first didn't want to roost, and then another one later on who decided that nest boxes were better for sleeping (and pooping!) than any old roost. Just lock em all in the coop when it gets dark. Then AFTER dark go out there and physically place them on the roosts. It may take a few times, but eventually they'll get the idea. They won't come off the roost after dark because they can't see.

7. AllenInTampa

Jan 8, 2012
    Thanks for the help. I am a member of many forums for various topics, and yall are the most helpful of any forum. Most forums when a newbie asks a dumb question they just say "use the search function". Thank you!!

I gathered everyone up around 5 and got them in the coop(it gets dark here around 6-6:15EST) and closed the coop doors. Went out just at dusk and had my usual one already asleep, and 2 standing on the little ladder. I was pleasantly surprised how easy they are to pick up when they cant see. I picked everyone up and put them on the perches very easily. They jockied for position for a minute but settled right down

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by