Why would 15 healthy chicks just die?

Pics
I suspect the tall container may be trapping too much heat but a malfunctioning light is a possibility.I've had brooders too small for certain bulbs and couldn't tweek it just right.I just did away with the brooder but it could have been the light.I used the same light and it was okay as long as I gave the chicks more room.The heat wasn't trapped in a larger area.
I would say the same thing except they were never hot or cold. Always running around playing eating drinking and making happy chick noises.

I would say the same thing except they were never hot or cold. Always running around playing eating drinking and making happy chick noises.

Um if I don’t turn the lamp off for an hour her brooder gets way to hot and she starts to pant. She does just fine without the lamp for an hour. Actually the last few nights she hasn’t had the lamp, I’ve kept a close eye on her and watched her behavior, she actually prefers to have the lamp off.
Day old Chicks can't regulate their body heat and turning the heat on and off isnt good for them sorry.

To control the body temperature of a day-old chick you have to control heat loss especially the first week to 10 days . Maintaining the correct "air" temperature in the room doesn't warm their feet.Ambient room temperature isn't enough(forced air furnace).If the lights too hot they won't get under it. https://extension.uga.edu/publications/detail.html?number=B1287

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-09-27 at 12-34-27 Environmental Factors to Control when Brooding Chicks UGA Co...png
    Screenshot 2021-09-27 at 12-34-27 Environmental Factors to Control when Brooding Chicks UGA Co...png
    42.6 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
I'm genuinely sorry you've lost 2 batches of chicks and regardless of the cause I understand how difficult shipping can be on chicks especially vaccinated chicks.I don't know if yours were but it can cause severe chilling when shipped.I do hope Nuggets doing better and would love to get an update on her status.Thanks!

I'm concerned for lil Nugget! Both orders of chicks died around a week old. Nuggets the only one to make it 2 weeks
Why she is actually doing good right now, even though she is having a problem with her toe pads, and one of her toes dying. I took off the toe yesterday day and she seems to be favoring that foot a little less today.

Thursday night is when they started to die,5 that night, then 5 on Friday, 1 on Saturday, and then 3 last night. I have 1 hanging in there. There is only three of us in the house all adults I’m the only one who takes care of the baby chicks as I am picky with what happens with them, we have had no visitors. I brood them away from the kitchen actually a whole different level then the kitchen. Then when we use any kind of cleaning sprays or fragrance things I put them out on my deck where it is in the high 80s still, I leave them out there for the day. The room they are in is one of my guest bedrooms where no one will go and bother them or give them something that could hurt them, if it gets to hot in there I turn of their heat lamp and then if that isn’t enough I move them to a cooler room, because I was in there a lot with them trying to socialize them I definitely would have noticed if the room temp dropped or skyrocketed. I also keep a few thermometers in the room and in the brooder just for extra measures. I would also like to point out that even when they were weak and tired they would take the water that I was giving them from a syringe willingly I didn’t have to force force any of them to drink.
I hope you don't mind my asking if you had to remove both batches from their heat source to "cool them off " in other locations ? If so did you keep both batches outside all day on the deck so they'd be warm without a light?Just trying to figure out what happened with these poor chicks because I've never heard of so many dyin gin 2 batches.Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom