Why would 15 healthy chicks just die?

Thursday night is when they started to die,5 that night, then 5 on Friday, 1 on Saturday, and then 3 last night. I have 1 hanging in there. There is only three of us in the house all adults I’m the only one who takes care of the baby chicks as I am picky with what happens with them, we have had no visitors. I brood them away from the kitchen actually a whole different level then the kitchen. Then when we use any kind of cleaning sprays or fragrance things I put them out on my deck where it is in the high 80s still, I leave them out there for the day. The room they are in is one of my guest bedrooms where no one will go and bother them or give them something that could hurt them, if it gets to hot in there I turn of their heat lamp and then if that isn’t enough I move them to a cooler room, because I was in there a lot with them trying to socialize them I definitely would have noticed if the room temp dropped or skyrocketed. I also keep a few thermometers in the room and in the brooder just for extra measures. I would also like to point out that even when they were weak and tired they would take the water that I was giving them from a syringe willingly I didn’t have to force force any of them to drink.
Could we see a picture of the last one that’s left? And your brooder setup?

Thursday night is when they started to die,5 that night, then 5 on Friday, 1 on Saturday, and then 3 last night. I have 1 hanging in there. There is only three of us in the house all adults I’m the only one who takes care of the baby chicks as I am picky with what happens with them, we have had no visitors. I brood them away from the kitchen actually a whole different level then the kitchen. Then when we use any kind of cleaning sprays or fragrance things I put them out on my deck where it is in the high 80s still, I leave them out there for the day. The room they are in is one of my guest bedrooms where no one will go and bother them or give them something that could hurt them, if it gets to hot in there I turn of their heat lamp and then if that isn’t enough I move them to a cooler room, because I was in there a lot with them trying to socialize them I definitely would have noticed if the room temp dropped or skyrocketed. I also keep a few thermometers in the room and in the brooder just for extra measures. I would also like to point out that even when they were weak and tired they would take the water that I was giving them from a syringe willingly I didn’t have to force force any of them to drink.

That certainly rules out a lot of things :)
I'm out of ideas now :idunno

Could we see a picture of the last one that’s left? And your brooder setup?
I’m at work right now so I can’t take any pictures. But here’s the thing when I left for work at 11:30 it was just chilling in the middle of the brooder it was sleeping, and when I would walk past it the poor little guy would run over to the side I was on and if I moved it would follow me. The thing is with it being the last one I don’t have any high hopes that it will be ok when I get home in a few hours after seeing what happened with the others.

Do you have air conditioning/heating ducts or vents in your house? Open them up and look for mold in the ductwork. Mold spores are deadly to chickenWe do have ac and h
Do you have air conditioning/heating ducts or vents in your house? Open them up and look for mold in the ductwork. Mold spores are deadly to chickens.
we do have ac and heating. But if that were the problem I think it would have also killed the chicks that I hatched out from my own eggs about a month ago.

It wont hurt to look inside the vents, will it? If anything you'll be doing yourself and family a favor if you happen to see black mold inside the vents. You can use a flashlight if the vents are on the ceiling. Ensure the vent slats are all the way opened.
If you cant see or tell if there's mold, just remove the vents and inspect the vent duct.

When I got home from work the little chick that I have left was just sitting there looking at me al sad and lonely. It breaks my heart. I was able to check my vents real quick before heading out to get dinner with the fam, nothing clean as a whistle. I wasn’t able to get pictures of the brooder and the chick as I was only home for a brief moment but will take some when I get home.

Back
Top Bottom