Why would anyone in their right mind own a Guinea?

The guineas sound like 50 cats in a washing machine.

lau.gif

I have 18,the youngest are over a year old. They don't make as much noise now as they did when young. The bug population has went down to almost zero. My Mom says they taste delicious. I've found that if you don't brood them with chickens that they're less aggressive toward them. It's like familiarity breeds contempt. It seems that the chicks beat on them when they're young,then the tables turn at a later date.

thanks for all your help peeps! One more question. What should I feed him? I have chick starter or lay pellets.

Last edited:
They need high protein. Mine free range for most of their food. They get a little gamebird feed but I don't keep a feeder for them.

I've got 6 guineas and they're pretty funny to watch. They're housed with my chickens and turkey for now, but once they're old enough, I'll let them out to free range. Hopefully this time, they avoid the dogs
roll.png

I just called my friend that is giving him to me and asked if she'd part with another one so he has another of his own kind to kick it with. She said yes! I'm actually getting excited about the ugly little buggers.
lol.png

Quote:
Yes, they lay from about May to October. My hen laied 1 egg every day without fail this season.

Most very bird egg is edible - quail, pheasant, guinea, chickens, turkeys, ducks, geese, rhea, emu, ostrich, etc.

Quote:
You will not be disappointed. Everytime you go near the coop they will hollar to let all the others know that someone is coming. You can sell the babies for up to $5 or more each.

I love my Guineas. They eat out of my hands, but don't want to be touched of picked up. They let my chickens know if they feel indangered and my little silkie thinks she is a Guinea, as she prefers them to my rooster. My rooster has tried to mate with them, but never yet the other way around. They are pretty attached to me as they follow me around the yard calling after me, "come back, come back, come back lol, thats the female, I still don't know what the males are saying lol. Mine have been around us a lot and really aren't noisy, and i enjoy hearing them. They are a wild game bird but I truly enjoy having them and they get along great with my other chickens. I know they are supposed to be fed higher protein feed, but mine get quite a bit of free range and i just feed chicken feed and some scratch.
As far as being bullies, if you could see my 7 wk old Buff Silke cockrel you would die laughing, cause my Guines avoid him, they step aside because he stands up to them even though they are 10 times bigger. I would say go for it.

Back
Top Bottom