Why!!?!?!?!?!??!?!?

Quote:
Because they taste great. All hens are tastier than cockerels and many are tastier than roosters.

But I do have some who will pass away from whatever mother nature chooses - they are pets - and even my oldest right now, at 4 yrs lays 3 to 4 eggs a week. Plus her eggs give me the most lovely blue feathered EE pullets and I just love her for it.

I have about fifteen hens that are 4+ years old. I bought replacements this spring and plan to butcher the older hens this fall. I don't mind eating them, but I do hate butchering. Hey, maybe I'll box them up and send them to the OP? Sounds like she wants to take care of them forever.......and ever..........and ever.

lol.png
Cute! But a very accurate assessment of the situation. If one cannot offer a sound and viable solution to a problem, one shouldn't really question those who have the best solution to date.

To some people, they are pets. To others, they are livestock - to feed their family. After all, where do you think the packages of chicken the grocery store come from? They are not all roosters that no one wanted. It's the same thing for those who keep pet pigs, or pet sheep or pet cows. They are pets - and that's okay. Just need to understand that to others they are livestock and will feed their families with either their milk or meat.

My chickens provide my family and several others with great food. Both eggs and meat.
Here is the way I feel about it.

Raise them with dignity and respect.
Provide them with quality food, good shelter and lots of TLC.
Give the a clean, quick death.
Send them off with one final, fantastic meal (for you).

For me they are both livestock and a source of enjoyment.

Tim

Last edited:
Quote:
My thoughts EXACTLY. We will process our rooster this week, and eventually two very mean SLW hens. I will be sad for their life to end, but thankful for the meat they provide my family. They lived well here on our little farm and we will always say a prayer before the processing to thank them for their meat to nourish the family. Eggs and meat IS the purpose of poultry. As hard as that is for some people to accept.

We keep our hens for eggs (at least that's the theory...they should start any day now
roll.png
) and like others, it is not affordable to keep them around past their prime laying time. Also, we are VERY limited on space, and I would not have room to keep older hens around and bring in new ones. I don't understand the idea that is understandable to eat a rooster, but not a hen. Seems like it all tastes like chicken, not to sound harsh. I guess it boils down to whether they are pets or not.

I really think it is a personal choice of the person raising the hens...I do choose to keep mine as pets..because I am able to. If I were unable to keep them due to lack of space and/or using the meat...I agree with the providing them with a good home them thanking them and then a fast death. I know for myself I could not stand the thought of looking at my flock and thinking of eating them....but I grew up on a large working farm and processed many hens once they were done laying...we needed the eggs and then we needed the meat for our family. The hens had a wonderful home and were loved up until the end. Today...I could never do it....but it is ones personal choice!

Back
Top Bottom