Wichita on Wheels

h c hennery

Chirping
Jul 23, 2017
Northern Virginia
Hi!

I've been researching coop design here for a while and finally have info to share: our nearly completed coop/run! Made for 3 hens (1 Barred Rock, 1 Buff Orpington, 1 Red Star).

We based it on the Wichita Cabin Coop, but added wheels and made it lighter, so we could move it around the yard. Overall dimensions are 5’ x 10’; coop is roughly 5’ x 3.5’. Base and wall framing made using 2”x4”s, coop framing is a mixture of 2”x4”s and 2”x3”s, rafters are 2”x3”s, and purlins are 1”x3”s. Coop floor is 1/2” plywood, and coop roof is ¼” (I think). The window above the nest box is 15” x 25.75”, and the window on the coop door is 16” x 23”. The pop hole is 10” x 12”.

The build time, from start to finish, was 10 weeks, but we worked on it for only 15 days (mostly part-time and on weekends). My husband Ken, who is a skilled general handyman with minimal carpentry experience, did most of the work. I helped with design and materials research and some unskilled labor.

The biggest challenge was making the nest box and making its lid fit snugly with no gaps. The second biggest challenge was making the coop door and mounting it to fit the coop with minimal gaps.

My favorite part of the whole thing, so far: the ChickenGuard automatic door opener. A genius idea! The tracks for the cookie-sheet-door were cut from a single piece of a plastic trellis end cap thingie, sold near the decking/trellis materials at either Lowes or Home Depot (we switched back and forth for construction materials and made multiple trips throughout this process).

I’ll post daily build details and *try* to post pictures below. Thanks to everyone who’s shared information in these forums — it gave us the confidence to build our own coop.

-Jenny

----------------------------------

May 6, 2017: Bought materials and stained framing pieces.

May 7, 2017: Created bottom and sides of unit.

May 15, 2017: Attached rafters.

June 4, 2017: Decided to give coop its own sub-roof; moved rafters to line up with coop roof and coop exterior siding. Added coop roof and stapled tar paper to it; attached purlins to rafters; screwed on SunTuf polycarbonate 6’ roofing panels (opaque over coop and clear over run).

June 10, 2017: Attached coop floor and some coop framing pieces.

June 11, 2017: Built nest box, laid vinyl on coop floor, and began siding coop with SmartSide panels.

June 12, 2017: Finagled and attached nest box lid.

June 17, 2017: Measured, cut, and hung coop siding.

June 19, 2017: Built coop door.

June 21, 2017: Mounted coop door and painted coop.

June 24, 2017: Built and mounted door to run; began installing hardware cloth on run.

June 25, 2017: Finished installing hardware cloth; attached wheels to unit (Egg Cartn wheel lift kit; $344).

July 3, 2017: Built ramp to run and installed ChickenGuard door opener ($190).

July 8, 2017: Installed roost in coop (made from stair handrail); made and installed ramp to roost. I especially like the adhesive non-skid panels we added to ramps.

July 15 and 16, 2017: Installed Ikea curtain rods to hold poop trays and made poop trays (13” wide, also from Ikea — may switch to wider ones when the hens get bigger).

byBuildMay7_edited-1.jpg

byBuildJune6 part 2.jpg

byBuild June 11 part 2.jpg

byBuild June25.jpg

byBuild July 3.jpg

byBuild July 8.jpg

byBuild July 15 and 16.jpg

Attachments

• byBuild June 17.jpg
    byBuild June 17.jpg
    309 KB · Views: 13
looks awesome! I am currently building my coop and am going to use the poop tray idea it looks great.

Whats inside the tray?

The coop rolls . . . with effort. My husband and I move it together as a team. It moves reasonably well over hard ground, but we wouldn't want to try it on soft soil.

I put Sweet PDZ granules in the poop trays. The trays work great, but our particular set-up isn't perfect, because we attached the ramp to the roost over top of the poop trays. The ramp area is their favorite roosting spot, so their poop falls on the ramp and the one adjacent poop tray.

We're planning to add another layer of protection to the coop soon, to discourage digging predators -- a line or two of barbed wire along the outside perimeter near the ground. We're also still trying to figure out how best to mount a fan inside the run (heat index of 100+ lately in Virginia!).

The coop is a work in progress . . .

a line or two of barbed wire along the outside perimeter near the ground. We're also still trying to figure out how best to mount a fan inside the run (heat index of 100+ lately in Virginia!).
Since you're going to power a fan, might think about hot wire rather than barbed wire(that's not going to do much to stop a digger).

Hi!

I've been researching coop design here for a while and finally have info to share: our nearly completed coop/run! Made for 3 hens (1 Barred Rock, 1 Buff Orpington, 1 Red Star).

We based it on the Wichita Cabin Coop, but added wheels and made it lighter, so we could move it around the yard. Overall dimensions are 5’ x 10’; coop is roughly 5’ x 3.5’. Base and wall framing made using 2”x4”s, coop framing is a mixture of 2”x4”s and 2”x3”s, rafters are 2”x3”s, and purlins are 1”x3”s. Coop floor is 1/2” plywood, and coop roof is ¼” (I think). The window above the nest box is 15” x 25.75”, and the window on the coop door is 16” x 23”. The pop hole is 10” x 12”.

The build time, from start to finish, was 10 weeks, but we worked on it for only 15 days (mostly part-time and on weekends). My husband Ken, who is a skilled general handyman with minimal carpentry experience, did most of the work. I helped with design and materials research and some unskilled labor.

The biggest challenge was making the nest box and making its lid fit snugly with no gaps. The second biggest challenge was making the coop door and mounting it to fit the coop with minimal gaps.

My favorite part of the whole thing, so far: the ChickenGuard automatic door opener. A genius idea! The tracks for the cookie-sheet-door were cut from a single piece of a plastic trellis end cap thingie, sold near the decking/trellis materials at either Lowes or Home Depot (we switched back and forth for construction materials and made multiple trips throughout this process).

I’ll post daily build details and *try* to post pictures below. Thanks to everyone who’s shared information in these forums — it gave us the confidence to build our own coop.

-Jenny

----------------------------------

May 6, 2017: Bought materials and stained framing pieces.

May 7, 2017: Created bottom and sides of unit.

May 15, 2017: Attached rafters.

June 4, 2017: Decided to give coop its own sub-roof; moved rafters to line up with coop roof and coop exterior siding. Added coop roof and stapled tar paper to it; attached purlins to rafters; screwed on SunTuf polycarbonate 6’ roofing panels (opaque over coop and clear over run).

June 10, 2017: Attached coop floor and some coop framing pieces.

June 11, 2017: Built nest box, laid vinyl on coop floor, and began siding coop with SmartSide panels.

June 12, 2017: Finagled and attached nest box lid.

June 17, 2017: Measured, cut, and hung coop siding.

June 19, 2017: Built coop door.

June 21, 2017: Mounted coop door and painted coop.

June 24, 2017: Built and mounted door to run; began installing hardware cloth on run.

June 25, 2017: Finished installing hardware cloth; attached wheels to unit (Egg Cartn wheel lift kit; $344).

July 3, 2017: Built ramp to run and installed ChickenGuard door opener ($190).

July 8, 2017: Installed roost in coop (made from stair handrail); made and installed ramp to roost. I especially like the adhesive non-skid panels we added to ramps.

July 15 and 16, 2017: Installed Ikea curtain rods to hold poop trays and made poop trays (13” wide, also from Ikea — may switch to wider ones when the hens get bigger).

View attachment 1087588
View attachment 1087589
View attachment 1087590
View attachment 1087592
View attachment 1087593
View attachment 1087594
View attachment 1087595
Love the ChickenGuard set up. Thanks for sharing! Hope you and your chickens enjoy the automatic door opener!

Back
Top Bottom