"Wicked" excited to get BYC in Huntersville NC but where to start?

ironk8

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 25, 2013
Hi Peeps!
Really looking forward to getting 6, 8week old chickens in a few weeks, but this is my 1 st time having chickens & I have no idea what in doing. We have plenty of land, and we will be building a coop. Nothing fancy, just wanting to have beautiful birds and fresh eggs around the yard. Any advise as to where to start would be greatly appreciated.
Looking forward to learning more and using this site!
~Kate

Greetings from Kate, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased you joined us! Best of luck to you and your future flock!

I know you will love chickens. They are just a joy to be around. I have to say no amount of reading will completely cover everything there is to know about backyard chickens. It's really a great learning experience. (This is not to worry you, just to let you know you won't know everything about owning chickens until you do!) This site is super helpful, so you were right to come here!
I would say do your research before building your coop (i.e. be sure its easily cleanable, big enough, etc.) because its frustrating to have to either build a new coop or make major modifications, although it can and is done. You will have to make many minor modifications to your coop, as just like I said earlier, you won't learn everything until you have them! (even then you don't know everything, thats why this site is so helpful!)
Make sure your coop is all set up and everything before you get the hens, that way there is no added stress!
I wish you luck in your marvelous chicken journey! If you have any specific questions, be sure to ask. No question is stupid.
Sincerely,
Iris

Thank you all. This site already seems awesome and everyone is so eager to help. Greatly appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom