Wierd air sacs in the eggs and looks like there is fluid in the air sacs

[email protected]

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 22, 2011
Wilmington, Ma
hello

I have some shipped paint silkie eggs in the bator. Looks like only four are fertile. 1 possibly 2 the egg sacs look weird but I see a chick moving and looks like there is fluid in the air sac. The first week of incubaton I had other eggs in there and the humidity was turned up could this be why there is fluid in the air sac now? I am afraid the chick will drown when it hatches next tuesday. There is still a week but I have to turn up the humidity on saturday. Please give me some advice. Should I keep the humidity way down in an attempt to try to dry it out? But I don't want to harm the other 2 eggs that look fine.

Last edited:
Sarah...The air sac is there for the chick to pierce it (internal pip) and begin breathing and expanding their lungs before hatching. This is when they may begin to peep within the egg.

kdmp... I would keep the humidity down till you see your first external pip. I've had eggs with really bad air cells, some were really large or in the wrong place and irregular. I usually have good luck hatching them. Most hatch on their own just fine. The only time I've noticed fluid in an air cell was from shipped eggs and within the first week of incubation, after that, I notice the fluid had disappeared. I usually sit the eggs upright (big end up) vs laying them down to heal the air cell. I do this halfway through their incubation and have great success.The embryo grows and toughens that membrane and makes it more stabilized. Do the air cells appear large enough? Right before hatching, the air cell should be rather large. There are some diagrams on the net to compare.

I'm not sure what your fluid situation looks like but I have an egg with a slightly odd air space and when I tilted it to candle, I could see fluid movement around the edge of the space.

The egg pipped today--yet to hatch but I think I'm seeing progress.

So I guess it really depend on the location and nature of the air space.

(to the other poster-the air space acts as a temporary resting place where the chick will place its beak--giving it time to learn to breathe air and stop utilizing the egg blood supply for oxygen. It uses this space after breaking the inner membrane and until it creates a large enough hole to breathe fresh air.)

Back
Top Bottom