1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wierd Eggs...is my duck okay?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by JayJayAre, Oct 5, 2011.

1. JayJayAre

JayJayAre New Egg

Oct 5, 2011
    Hi Everybody,

When I decided to get a flock of backyard chickens and some ducks I've been using this forum
    as my go to resource whenever I've had questions or concerns. As of yet i haven't seen this question posted here.

So Ive had my 3 Jumbo Pekins for about 6 months now. I hatched them myself. Two hens and one drake. They are great!
    Three weeks ago they started laying eggs. One girl lays huge eggs the size of my palm but the other girl lays tiny eggs.
    The huge eggs have nice even thick shells the tiny eggs have thick shells but the shells are wavy and uneven in thickness and the
    yolks inside are either non-existent or really weird shapes...like a shriveled flower. Ive gotten like 12 really nice huge eggs and 8 small
    wierd eggs since they began laying. They get the same feed, the same water and the same pen and grass to play in.

So y'all think theres something wrong with one of my girls or do some ducks need more time to start making normal eggs? If i did it right
    below should be a picture of the ducks and the eggs.

thanks in advance,

Jr.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. GrannyCarol

GrannyCarol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2011
    Washington
    Give them time, it is normal for a hen or a duck to lay little funky eggs at first. I'd not worry about it at this stage. [​IMG]

3. FarmrGirl

FarmrGirl MooseMistress

Jul 1, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    Quote:yes, you'll get varying sized of eggs from all of your layers from time to time. Typically, it's the new layers that give you these "starter eggs" but once in a while my mature layers will leave one of these for me.

4. KimM

KimM Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2011
    Mine haven't been laying quite as long, but the eggs are much smaller than I expected. I assume they will get bigger, like everyone says. Today they laid a very tiny one, more like the size our guineas lay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by