Wierd hen behaviors

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenman7, Sep 27, 2007.

1. chickenman7

chickenman7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2007
    TX
    My hen recently hatched a chick on a at least 5 foot tall shelf she stayed up there for about two days then they jumped off (about ten eggs still up there) and walked,fed,etc.Then I was watching them and she continuesly pecking him. So I snatched the chick and brought it in side.The next day she hatched another one and abandoned that one.there doing fine right now.But she hatched another one, and cared for it for three days.Then abandoned it.[​IMG]

Why is she doing this?[​IMG]

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Some hens just aren't good moms. I say just take her chicks from her and let that be that. Raise them as your own and only use this girl as a brooder if you need eggs hatched.

3. LynnGrigg

LynnGrigg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2007
    Winston Salem, NC
    I'm thinkin' it's kinda tough to take care of a chick/s and then go back to hatchin' eggs up on a five foot shelf. She might be doing a better job if the eggs were more easily accessable to her AND the chicks. She's probably feeling pulled in two directions. It's still cool that she is at least attempting to do both.

4. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Is there a way to lower her nest? I would put it dwon on the floor...maybe in a small pen somewhere....see how she does with the rest of them. Make sure she has food and water in there as well!

5. chickenman7

chickenman7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2007
    TX
    There is no way to move the nest but I can move the eggs.And she stayed off the eggs for two days are they ok?

6. peeps7

peeps7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    North Carolina
    Well we had a hen that hatched around 10 chicks and when they hatched she went bezerk. She killed one and tore the wing off another.

7. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    Oh, that's terrible. I did not know they would do that. Maybe we should call cps (chicken protective services) on her. That is just wrong. [​IMG]

8. TxChiknRanchers

TxChiknRanchers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2007
    Southeast Texas
    Quote:We would all probably be doing time ! just from the mistakes we make .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by