Wiggler Temp

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by greathorse, Oct 31, 2008.

1. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    So I just want to be clear. I finally got a wiggler (well fashioned one out of an adult latex product) They simply dont seem to exist here (the wigglers that is). My incubator temp seems to run at least a degree higher than the (ahem) wiggler temp. Is that the reading I shoot for? maybe I should just look at the wiggler temp and forget about the temp in the cabinet?

Mixed results in the last hatch just want to get this one right.

2. UrbanMama

UrbanMama Gone Country....

Sep 27, 2008
    Massachusetts
    [​IMG] I'm sorry...but [​IMG]

What are the temps?

3. greathorse

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    Well the wiggler so to speak is at 99.5 but the temp in the cabinet is 100.5 it seems to run one degree hotter than the assimilated egg.

By the way at something past 50 year old grandfather, not sure which is more embarrasing explaining the need for a water wiggler or is current coutner part. Both raised eyebrows.

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I think you should go by the er...um...'wiggler' temp [​IMG]

Wow, and I had a whole box of 'wigglers' that could have been put to good use!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 31, 2008
  5. greathorse

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    Was getting frustrated trying to find something that would work. In all seriousness I fill the latex item about third full of water and tie off the the end with as little air as possible. Tie another knot in the middle then fold over and tie or tape the ends together. NOw you can put the probe in the folded area. I tried the baggie but it leaked. If you experiment a bit you can get it to be just about the size of an egg and will fit right in the turner

works for me

6. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    That is to funny, During the summer you can most always find the water wiggle or squeeze at Wal-Mart, it will be in the Cheap toy section on the peg board stuff. They are popular for pools and bath tub toys. I could not find one at first either and I got out the Easter stuff and took one of those plastic eggs that you can open and then put a small biggie of hair gel in the bag. I put the prob in the middle of the wadded up bag of gel. I decided it was to to messsy and went back to measuring temp on the top of the egg.

If you use the Wiggler you do take the temp reading from the probe in the eggThat should read 99.5 no matter if it is forced air or still air. Ignore the reading for the unit itself. There will often be up to 2 degrees difference. You will also find that the temp inside the (latex) will not fluctuate as often as the reading on the unit itself. I think that is the whole idea on the Water Wiggler, it give you a more constant reading that replicates the egg. Most people make the mistake of trying to regulate the temperature swings by adjusting the setting and that messes things up. Your egg temp will not be affected by the changing temperature readings that the digital thermometer gives.

7. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Your temp sounds good. Go by the probe reading.

8. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Any pictures? [​IMG]

Wiggler temps will always be lower than air temps assuming your
    thermometers are accurate.

I always keep a wiggler temp of 99 to 99.5 and air temps of 100 to 102
    depending on which bator I am using and the location of the thermometer.

Sounds like you are doing it perfectly.

9. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    Quote:I could just see my parents showing up for a visit and looking in the Bator and going [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. mirecipes

mirecipes Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2008
    Yea, remember that the water wiggler will take awhile to get up to temp..The whole idea is it doesnt fluctuate nearly as much a the air temp..

Heres my version of a water wiggler [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by