wild bird emergency

Makenzie

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 11, 2012
Close to 9 PM this evening a neighbor and her son showed up with a baby bird. She told me they were sitting on their porch when they saw it fall out of a old huge tall pine tree and land on it's side. She told me it can fly a little bit across the grass but can't achieve altitude yet. Seems I was considered a better chance for it then leaving it in the field for the local cats or wildlife to find.

They knew I'd raised an orphaned mockingbird after it came out of a tree by falling literally under my nose. If I hadn't looked down he'd of been stepped on. His siblings were also knocked out by blue jays but neither survived. I was lucky, a neighbor had done wildlife rehab in a nearby state so I went to give the bird to her but instead of taking it she told me what to do. Pretty much became a bird mama after that. He was young enough to accept me once I got baby bird formula down his throat. I raised him, got him flying, taught him to hunt with pinhead crickets and meal-worms, and showed him where the wild blackberries and rose bushes were. Put his cage on the porch once he was airborne, opened the door in the morning for him to come and go, then eventually took the cage away as he staked out 'his' territory in the wild and stayed in his tree at night, coming to me and the porch less and less. When the mockingbirds all moved off for the winter he went with them which to me meant I'd done my job.

That said I don't have a clue what to do with this baby robin except open the cage door in the morning and hope it flies off. Impossible to get it back in the pine tree without a fire department ladder, only has a couple baby feathers left and is a good size. Right now it's in a covered cage and I know if it doesn't fly away tomorrow morning it would have to be force fed to survive. As stressed as it already was I believe the stress of being handled along with forcing it to eat could be enough to kill it.

I live in a rural area with no nearby rescue or sanctuary and being tomorrow is Sunday the only thing around here that will be open except for the churches is a gas station. If anybody has any experience with a baby robin I'd really appreciate some input.

Thanks

Don't try to feed it or force it to drink, If it is a safe area(no predators) you can put it in a box of sorts and nail the box as far up in the tree as you can the mama robin will still take care of it if she can see it, or wait it out until Monday but I can't stress enough do not try and feed it

this time of year, some of the earlier hatchlings are starting to fledge. There are baby birds all over the place. Their mothers are still taking care of them. They find a safe place to hide and will be fine.

I think you should put it back under that tree! Its normal for Robins to leave the nest before they can fly properly. The chicks will hide in low vegetation and the parents will come and feed them.

My instincts kept telling me not to try feeding it so I never made the attempt. The tree it fell out of is HUGE and sits right by the road in a cut field. I think the location of the tree more then anything is why the neighbor brought it here. It had nowhere to run or hide and between the cars and the cats it didn't stand too much of a chance.

I'm happy to say that it left the cage, achieved altitude enough to land in yet another pine tree then later flew off.

I'd like to thank all of you for taking the time to give me input. Knew this site was the place to go for some answers. It's greatly appreciated.

Don't try to feed it or force it to drink, If it is a safe area(no predators) you can put it in a box of sorts and nail the box as far up in the tree as you can the mama robin will still take care of it if she can see it, or wait it out until Monday but I can't stress enough do not try and feed it

x2. We had a baby robin and we put it in a box on top of our mudroom. The mama came and took care of it, and it eventually got to where it could jump out of the box and fly away.

Back
Top Bottom