1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

wild bird seed safe for chickens???

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mlowarren, Mar 7, 2010.

1. kichohana

kichohana Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Johnston County, NC
    Quote:aren't chickens birds? [​IMG] just read the label as some birdseed is treated so it wont germinate. i usually get a nice sunflower garden from all the seed that does get kicked out of my "bird" feeders and on to the ground.

2. DIMBY

DIMBY Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Western Colorado
    Every so often, in the late afternoon after I've put the girls in their coop, I'll sprinkle some lice/mite dust in the areas that they like - and are also frequented by wild birds.

3. FrizzlesRule

FrizzlesRule Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    Quote:Not sure I understand that post. Have been giving it to my bantams for years and they love it.

4. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    I think they were being sarcastic! Yes, Chickens are birds...

5. mlowarren

mlowarren Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2009
    Birmingham, AL
    Yup, they love it!!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

bywaterdog, I didn't think it would be deadly, but the box of seed says "for wild birds only" and I wasn't sure why...I didn't know if maybe they don't regulate pesticides in wild bird seed or something obscure like that. I figured better safe than sorry where my little flock is concerned [​IMG]

Thanks again everyone!! [​IMG]

6. Kung Foo Chicken

Kung Foo Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Wild Bird Seed is great if you want to have your bedding last a little longer.
    They will turn it for you if you sprinkle some seed on top.

This also works for a rainwater drainage ditch around their coop.

7. IggiMom

IggiMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    West Virginia
    My darn Guineas have learned to fly against the feeder, making the food fall to the ground. They take turns doing this.

Catherine

8. IggiMom

IggiMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    West Virginia
    Quote:Oh, that's a good idea!

Catherine

9. dragonlair

dragonlair Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    Maine
    I gave mine some this winter for a little boost at night. I give them a sprinkle of BOSS every day mixed with their pellets.

10. oreochip

oreochip Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2010
    Fort Worth
    Thank you for this post as I was wondering the same thing. Just gave my girls a handful and they love it. Also gives them something to scratch in the dirt for. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by