Wild birds in your coop/feed? A Solution!

CAjerseychick

Songster
7 Years
Jun 25, 2012
Northern California!
Duh! A good hunting Cat! Our cat who had never been outside a day in his life is transitioning to life in the country well-- ever since he discovered he could climb the tree in our chicken yard... Guess what? The nuisance doves (that would even fly into the coop and covered yard to eat feed)), the Jays etc... are Gone! He has yet to kill anything, and the Crows still fly overhead ( I view them as Hawk deterrents) but the little pests are gone Yay!!

I would not mind the cat eating sparrows,but if they killed the natives I would be building a cat run.

I have never had a cat before in my life so this may be a silly question but how do you go about adopting a cat that will be an outside cat and making sure it sticks around?

I have never had a cat before in my life so this may be a silly question but how do you go about adopting a cat that will be an outside cat and making sure it sticks around?

Just go dwn to the pound get young cat (even a 4or 5 month old as winter is coming wouldnt want it too tender for the cold) make sure your cat has somewhere to retreat to- cat bed in the shed or garage etc... And be sure and give it tons of affection and love-- feed it the same time everyday, pet and scratch and stroke him try to incorporate him/it into your routine (like when you sit and watch your birds, have him in your lap for lovin' time, etc..) -- I am just finding out that even if your cat doesnt actually catch anything, having him around is a detterent to the little flocks of birds- they just go elsewhere....Plus If you are worried about the native birds, put a bell on his collar and everyone will know when he is coming!

Back
Top Bottom