Wild birds invading the coop

jschway

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 22, 2012
olive branch ms
I just put new wire around my coop... The wire has holes large enough for house sparrows... They are now stealing food and water... I did not care until I released that the wild birds may carry mites or lice. Should I worry about this?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

There has been a tiny bird in my coop the last few nights...

I don't know what it is, but I figure it's not going to hurt anything... My chickens free range all day everyday so I'm sure they rub elbows with the native bird life daily... I regularly dust the coop and chickens for mites, so no worries for me really. Seems silly to freak out over a little bird. Then again I'm perhaps too laid back about things... But so far so good

Treat your coop/flock for exoparasites every now and then and everything should be fine. There are potential diseases that can be transmitted fecally both ways,...but the only way to eliminate that possibility would be to not allow your chickens to range in the grass..or anywhere else bird poop will surely fall. It is everywhere in nature, as it should be. I never had an issue with all the wild birds who would come and eat with my chickens every morning. I even had a Mockingbird that I could call in with my voice. :)

they should be fine
smile.png
like everyone else said free ranging birds tend to mingle with the native birds on a daily basis. the chickens will most likely run them off if it becomes too much of a problem

I wonder if you provide feed for the wild birds elsewhere on the property, if they would leave the coop alone as long as there is plenty of food.

Back
Top Bottom