Wild Blind baby goose? What do I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello! I just want to let you all know that the goose, Cane, is doing great. She does not have any disease like you all thought she did. she's just blind. if I didn't take her in she never would've made it. She's very happy. Not suffering. I've not had the slightest problem with her. I don't leave animals to die. Nature or not, its a life, and if I can do anything to save it, I will. No innocent animal should be left like that. And I can only hope that if you found a lost, hurting soul you would do the same. This poor animal lost its mother and couldn't see. It was scared and alone. If it were a chicken what would you do? Would you just leave it? Anyways, she's amazing. Gets around quite well for being blind. Lives her days eating grass and playing in kitty pools. She gets along with the other birds and even has a little chicken friend. She's a good girl and she's living a very good life.
I feel this. I just can’t not help an animal. Legal, not legal, wild, domestic. If it is suffering I can’t walk away from it.
I’m so glad she is happy and wonderful. Know that everyone was trying to help. Canadian geese are one of the main spreaders of things like avian influenza, and can end up killing your entire flock of backyard birds. Which is likely why people were so concerned about disease. And a lot of time people think they are “saving wildlife” when the animal didn’t need help and they are actually harming it. But it’s clear that was not the case with you. So I agree despite knowing all the risks, I would have done the same thing.
I have a ended up with everything from pigeons to opossums that no rescue would take without just “euthanizing” them based on species alone. And I’m sure I’ll end up with many more in the long run. It’s like the universe sends them to me or something lol.
Would love to see a photo of her if you can post one.

Hello! I just want to let you all know that the goose, Cane, is doing great. She does not have any disease like you all thought she did. she's just blind. if I didn't take her in she never would've made it. She's very happy. Not suffering. I've not had the slightest problem with her. I don't leave animals to die. Nature or not, its a life, and if I can do anything to save it, I will. No innocent animal should be left like that. And I can only hope that if you found a lost, hurting soul you would do the same. This poor animal lost its mother and couldn't see. It was scared and alone. If it were a chicken what would you do? Would you just leave it? Anyways, she's amazing. Gets around quite well for being blind. Lives her days eating grass and playing in kitty pools. She gets along with the other birds and even has a little chicken friend. She's a good girl and she's living a very good life.

I'm so Happy hearing the good news about little cane.. I know this was awhile ago, but I just felt the need to say what an amazing person you are!! Reading through some of these heartless replies was really p*ssing me off! Cull a innocent blind goose? What kind of a... Nevermind.. I have rescued way too many Canada's to count and all I can say is that they are truly amazing gifts from God. Each and everyone of them is a life and no one has the right to decide when it's time is up. I truly believe we come into their lives for a reason when they need us and reading your reply warmed my heart!! Trust me, the replies on here are mostly haters, and if the goose had a major disease that could be spread to other waterfowl you would have known it just by looking at it's eyes and everything else. I'm so happy your little goose is doing well . I hope she's still with you today and I'm wishing you all the best!!! You are one in a million!! Thank you!! P.s. I rehabilitate Canada geese.

That's awesome!!! Thank you so much for helping her!! You were meant to be in her life. Don't listen to anyone on here and their bs. I hope she's still with you and doing well!! You're 1 in a million!! Thank you so much!!

As far as I can tell from the law, there is no such license to bypass the Migratory Bird Treaty, I was referring to license for nuisance animals in various states, which is a totally different issue legally. Those licenses do not allow trapping professionals to take in any animal as a pet, they are relocated only in nuisance and dangerous situations.

Last bit of advice, because I honestly think you seem like a lovely person...admitting publicly that you know you are breaking the law but don't care, is probably not the wisest thing. If you were to get in trouble with the law for this issue, publishing publicly that you knew and purposefully disregarded the law is not a good look in court. The internet lasts forever, screen shots and all. I bet any old person could find out who you are and where you live, and there is a world of Karen's ready to call the PoPo on anyone. Breaking this law by keeping the bird can carry a fine of $15,000 and 6 months in prison. So, I'd uh, be careful about that stuff.

Hope it all works out for the birds. The government does a lot of cruddy stuff, but I do believe this treaty and many of our wildlife management laws are highly beneficial for the HEALTH of our wildlife populations overall. Nature kills animals for a reason, for the health of the ecosystem as a whole. :) Humans touching and moving sickly animals can start pandemics in humans and animals, and we all know how lovely pandemics are. :D

https://fws.gov/birds/policies-and-regulations/laws-legislations/migratory-bird-treaty-act.php

text-idx

Those links will take you to the legal pages of our government. Blessings!
Actually in many states you can become a licensed rehab er.my rehabbed that I've taken I jured birds and mammals to has had eagles,geese, ravens,hawks,pelicans and songbirds and recently an injured chicken found thrown away after apparent dog attack..she has federal and state license she has birds that can't be released that are kept for educational purposes ,schools and libraries, she can legally e I uthanize protected species etc..there are 6-8 in my state

The Migratory Bird Treaty Act prohibits the taking, killing, capturing, transporting, harboring of the birds or hatching eggs, that which are Native to the United States of America, Europe and central Asia. All are protected by state and federal agencies.

https://www.fws.gov/birds/policies-and-regulations/laws-legislations/migratory-bird-treaty-act.php

https://www.birdlife.org/europe-and-central-asia/policy/species-protection-and-hunting-birds

Any threads started on this subject will be closed.

Thank you for your understanding.

-BYC Staff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom