Wild Bob-White Quail Populations?

KenK

Songster
9 Years
Jan 23, 2011
Georgia
Yet the deer and turkey are thriving. We have a thirteen deer limit in Georgia. When I started deer hunting, about 1970, there was a two deer limit but you would be lucky to see two or three deer on our land during a season. We were excited to see fresh tracks!

For those who can remember when there were a good many quail. Do you also remember that Meadow Larks seemed to outnumber the quail about 10-1? Don't see the Larks anymore either.

I can believe the fire ants are one more nail in the coffin but it seems like they would have a similar impact on Turkeys?

I sure would like to pack up all the fire ants, coyotes and armadillos and send them back to whence they came.

deerman

Rest in Peace 1949-2012
11 Years
Aug 24, 2008
Southern Ohio
Quote:KEN THERE IS A GREAT DEAL OF LITERATURE OUT THERE THAT SUPPORTS THIS VERY CAUSE--- DESTRUCTION OF HABITAT BY FARM MACHINERY 1ST THEN DEVELOPMENT SECOND. AND FIRE ANTS ALSO PLAY A LARGE PART

I agree with the super farms have hurt the wildlife.......the DRA have done a great job here in Ohio, WHICH MOST OF THE FUNDS come from hunting fee and tax on guns and ammo. Ohio has more deer and turkey in its history. Bobwhite got hurt real bad from the winters, they even Stop mowing around highways and interstates, untill the birds hatch off young , until they make a come back, long way to go on the bobs, they trapped wild bobs and house in large flight pens with auto feeders and waters. then release those raised.

So my hat goes off to the Ohio State DNR.

Anyone seen what raccoons,possum ,skunk can do to our cage birds, just think what they do to ground nesting bird....also all the cats people think it ok to let run to eat mice........these predator are out of control here ,because the fur market is no longer.

So I think there are lots of reasons, its just hard to believe the come back on wild turkey here, which need more habitat than Quail. Not saying loss of habitat if not a big reason on the quail, just think with our winter, kills it take a longer time to come back from bad winters.

No matter the reason, raising bobs for restocking should not be done by just anyone.....sure different reasons in other States, but lot of these reasons are in all states.

Speceider

Songster
8 Years
Apr 4, 2011
ella&clara :

I have heard that habitat loss is the problem. My property is in a rural, wooded area, so that gives me hope, and it backs up to hundreds (?) of acres of wooded land. I know nothing about it at all, you all told me about the need for a license. Anyone know why it's illegal to release without a license?

From the description, it doesn't sound like you have bobwhite habitat. Bobs are not a "wooded" habitat bird. They're a grasslands bird. The biggest problem with bobs is the reduction in controlled burning that reduces the shrub understory.

Clint​

Top Bottom