Wild Chicken and Domestic Chickens

MerishaT

In the Brooder
Aug 19, 2019
Fresno, Ca
Please help!!

We have had a stray gamefowl chicken for about 6-8 months. Lived in our front yard for a few months, then went broody and we were able to catch her and now she has been in our coop for about 1 month. I have never been able to pet her but she would get very close for treats. We just added three more chickens, given to us by a friend. They are very tame and very much pets. We love them already. My stray chicken is now a bully. She made of the new ones bleed and plucked her feathers. They are all scared of her. I have had to separate them by locking my stray chicken in the coop during the day. Then at night the 3 news one want to sleep in the coop so I have to switch them. I just bought the blinders and going to try them tonight.
Any thoughts, I would more than appreciate any advice someone wants to share. I’m feeling like my stray gamefowl would just be better of back in the wild?

I’m feeling like my stray gamefowl would just be better of back in the wild?
I think she's yours now, once they find feed and shelter it's doubtful she would 'go wild' again.
She's protecting her domain from the new 'strangers', perfectly normal.

How big is your coop and run?
Dimensions and pics would help immensely.
Do you have other chickens, or just the one 'wild one'?

Here's some tips about....
Integration Basics:
It's all about territory and resources(space/food/water).
Existing birds will almost always attack new ones to defend their resources.
Understanding chicken behaviors is essential to integrating new birds into your flock.

Confine new birds within sight but physically segregated from older/existing birds for several weeks, so they can see and get used to each other but not physically interact.

In adjacent runs, spread scratch grains along the dividing mesh, best if mesh is just big enough for birds to stick their head thru, so they get used to eating together.

The more space, the better.
Birds will peck to establish dominance, the pecked bird needs space to get away. As long as there's no copious blood drawn and/or new bird is not trapped/pinned down and beaten unmercilessly, let them work it out. Every time you interfere or remove new birds, they'll have to start the pecking order thing all over again.

Multiple feed/water stations. Dominance issues are most often carried out over sustenance, more stations lessens the frequency of that issue.

Places for the new birds to hide 'out of line of sight'(but not a dead end trap) and/or up and away from any bully birds. Roosts, pallets or boards leaned up against walls or up on concrete blocks, old chairs tables, branches, logs, stumps out in the run can really help. Lots of diversion and places to 'hide' instead of bare wide open run.

Oh, and...Welcome to BYC! @MerishaT
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-8-21_8-8-36.png

Hi aart, you have no idea how appreciative of your response that I am! I am located in Central Valley in Ca (updated my profile!). My run is about 6’ x 16’ with an elevated coop that is about 6’ x 3’ with 6 nesting boxes.
The wild gamefowl that adopted us about 6 months ago lived in our front yard for a few months then she went broody and we made a this coop for hers she has been in it for about 1 month then we asked to take one these other three: barred rock, Orpington, and Rhode Island Red. The new three are so tame and very much pets, I could never even touch my gamefowl.
We got the three new this past Friday and they were Good Friday but Saturday afternoon my gamefowl pecked and made bleed (a lot) the barred rock (she was the top of pecking order of the three). I locked my gamefowl in the coop for the next day until I bought some Pinless peepers. I put them on her Monday right before bed. They slept together in the coop overnight and I kept her locked up again in the coop during the yesterday. I put them all back together from 3pm until they went to sleep and just watched them. The Pinless peepers are keeping them from fighting badly but they are still definitely pick small fights with each other. Just my gamefowl and the Orpington, the other two just run away from the gamefowl.
How long will this last, will it ever stop? Will I ever be able to take the Pinless peepers off. I’m such an animal lover that it kills me to see them fighting and also I hate the fact that I have to use the Pinless peepers.
Today I added an additional feeder and water and added a hanging head of lettuce to help distract them.
What are your thoughts. Again I really apprentice your help!
Merisha

Back
Top Bottom