"Wild" Chicken

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 3baymares, Jul 21, 2016.

1. 3baymares

3baymares Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2009
    North Atlanta area, USA
    A few months ago a small hen showed up outside our girls' coop making lots of noise. I ended up putting her in the pen with our hens after she didn't leave (2-3 days) and I saw a fox going after her one evening.
    My question is .... is it worth my time to try and tame her so she is not so frantic in the coop when I come into feed (etc.). She is getting quieter after a few months have passed.

Is taming an untame chicken possible and worthwhile?

I am calling her a game hen... what do you think? She is now one of our best layers as well! :)

[​IMG]

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    She most likely will never be a lap chicken, and may never be very comfortable in your presence. But, over time, by offering treats, and providing a calm approach, perhaps sitting in the run with little movement, tossing some scratch for the flock, she will become less skittish.

3. 3baymares

3baymares Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2009
    North Atlanta area, USA
    Good suggestions. Thank you Lazy Gardener. What breed would you call her?

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I'd go with game hen. You could look at Henderson's chicken breeds chart, or some of the hatchery web sites. They have good pics of a lot of breeds. Might help you to id her. What color and size egg does she lay, is she as big as your other birds???

5. SueT

SueT Overrun With Chickens

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    If your other girls get along with her that is a huge step, often difficult to achieve. Maybe more important than how she gets along with you.

6. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Hen pictured is an American Game (fighting chicken). Black coloration most typical of strains known as Warhorse or Sid Taylors although others can be so colored. I keep games. They are very easy to tame even when starting with a flighty bird. Games I have in yard are handily the most personable birds you will find and are relatively easy to train to fly up to you for food. Hens also make exceptional mothers. Egg production can be decent for about 6 months of the first two years of life where you might be able to get 120 eggs per season. By the time hens are six you will be lucky to get 40 eggs per year.

7. chicks are life

chicks are life Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2016
    North carolina
    When we get some from our friends there very skittish.but I've found if you catch them,pet them,give treat,say shhhhhhh its OK every time you are in the coop or run,they get friendlier.one of most loving hen was like that very very skittish...but after sometime.she became very very very sweet hen.

8. chicks are life

Feb 11, 2016
    North carolina
    Here's a pic[​IMG]

9. 2Fast2Curious

2Fast2Curious Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2015
    Looks like one of your neighbors lost a Golden Sebright.

10. chicks are life

Feb 11, 2016
    North carolina
    That's not the wild hen I'm a different person.I don't think she's golden sea bright.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by