Wild Chickens Interrupting

Yigolette

Chirping
Dec 15, 2020
Micronesia
There are a ton of wild chickens in my area that have become really aggressive w my hens, trying to enter their gated area, chasing them when they forage the property, etc. there are many wild roosters too. I noticed the past week, even more wild roosters and wild hens (w their chicks) are coming around and this has seemed to happen simultaneously with a drop in my four hens laying as regularly. Typically, I get three to four eggs a day from them. Since this influx of wild chickens, it has dropped to one or even zero a day. I’m new to chickens and unsure if this could really have an impact on their laying or if it’s something else. I’m not sure what the best way to handle the wild ones coming around is. There’s just so many of them. What are your thoughts?

It is typically a time for chickens to slow down egg laying (related to daylight hours). Stress, however, can also be a factor. You may need to come up with a way to keep your birds in, and the wild ones out. (You may need to do this for the health of your flock as well.)

We do. He’s actually a wild rooster that made himself at home shortly after we brought the girls home. He seems to be scrapping with the other wild ones often. I saw him kick others out of their gated area a few times (which I’m grateful for). It’s so frustrating trying to keep all the wild ones away and I have no idea what has triggered such a large amount of them lately. My dad was saying they may be laying less because of all these random birds coming around. I don’t know how true that is.
do you have a rooster? If not, adopt one of the wild roosters and he will defend his territory from the others.

I wish I had wild chickens. Where do you live?
Careful what you wish for!

1609335817105.png

Careful what you wish for!

View attachment 2468428
I could be wrong but I believe our winters and predators here would keep them held to low or no numbers. The quail barely hang on here with all of the possums, skunks, coyotes, foxes, snakes and everything else that cleans out a ground nest every time they find one. Heck, Inwish we could even get pheasants to take wild here.

Back
Top Bottom