Wild Eastern Turkey poults **testing eggs**

wilds of pa

Crowing
14 Years
Feb 17, 2007
The Blue Mountains of Pa
Finally get to play baby turkey for awhile..

set a test hatch..10 eggs in..1 early quitter....8 poults hatched...1 didn't hatch

wildturkeypoults2010005.jpg

wildturkeypoults2010004.jpg

wildturkeypoults2010001.jpg

another test in progress...pheasant hatch, looking very good so far..will know by end of day..lots of peep's in their

wildturkeypoults2010015.jpg

wildturkeypoults2010017.jpg

wildturkeypoults2010016.jpg

Last edited:
may i ask, the water holder in your pic (red base glass jar) where can i get hold of the red bases? i have plastic waterers and they also break so think maybe its time to switch to the glass jar method!

I don't know much about turkeys:

Is there a way to tell wild turkey eggs from domestic turkey eggs?
Or an obvious way to tell wild turkey poults from domestic poults?

I noticed your eggs have a lot of color variety, and the poults look a lot like the Narragansett poults a friend is raising. He gave me some eggs to hatch that are dark cream. A different friend gave me some that are a little darker but exactly the same size. She didn't know what her turkeys were called. The darker eggs have hatched and look like the Narragansett poults I saw before. But now that I've seen your eggs and poults I'm wanting to be sure I wasn't given wild eggs...

Quote:
many thanks for that, will try ebay. do they have a special name? or do i just search water dispenser base or something?

Quote:
many thanks for that, will try ebay. do they have a special name? or do i just search water dispenser base or something?

Spish- They are just called Chick Water bases, if you can't find any let me know I'll send some to you for whatever they cost. I work at a feed store...

Back
Top Bottom