Wild goose has moved in.

White-fronted have a white patch on the front at the base of the bill. Can you see that? You know, they winter on the West Coast and as far south as Mexico and the Western Gulf States Three months ago it could have been migrating, but a little early. It could have also been a semi-feral resident.. Greylags and others will do that.

We have a duck like that. Accustomed enough to humans to fly in and stay, but feral enough to be wary and able to escape at will.

Last edited:
White-fronted have a white patch on the front at the base of the bill. Can you see that? You know, they winter on the West Coast and as far south as Mexico and the Western Gulf States Three months ago it could have been migrating, but a little early. It could have also been a semi-feral resident.. Greylags and others will do that.

We have a duck like that. Accustomed enough to humans to fly in and stay, but feral enough to be wary and able to escape at will.
At first I thoughtcit was a goose, after a week on the web, I could not find any duck with its coloration. Once I begin looking for geese the size of a 5 pound duck, it began to resemble the white fronted goose more than the bean goose or greylag. It does have a slight white ring around its beak which makes me think it is a young white fronted goose. The size through me off; I didn't think geese could be so small, but once it honked, I know it was a goose. Also it grazes as does the domestic geese.

At first I thoughtcit was a goose, after a week on the web, I could not find any duck with its coloration. Once I begin looking for geese the size of a 5 pound duck, it began to resemble the white fronted goose more than the bean goose or greylag. It does have a slight white ring around its beak which makes me think it is a young white fronted goose. The size through me off; I didn't think geese could be so small, but once it honked, I know it was a goose. Also it grazes as does the domestic geese.
I will have to get a better close up picture to post.

I have a friend in the Eugene Oregon area that had a random White Fronted Goose join her Sebastopol Geese this year. So it does happen. Looks just like yours, and is as small. We think it's a juvenile that got separated from its group. Seems happy with the domestic flock.

Yes, it's part of the family for over 3 months now. I've had ducks and coots before that would stay for 1 to 2 weeks then fly off never to be seen again, but this goose has grown accustomed to the free feeding each day. I hope it stays, and may be find a permanent bound with one of my toulouse geese.

Yes, it certainly is a welcome site when a wild bird stops by for a week or two, but even better when they decide this is npw home.

One year a 3ft alligator showed up, but showed no interest in my geese. I caught and relocated the gator because eventually goose would have been on the menu. That same year, at different times another baby gator would show up. Got rid of that one, the a month later, another came along. All three and been relocated many miles away, and that was the last of that threat.

The only threat I have now is owls. 3 full grown peacocks, males, have been killed last year. Males tend to isolate during dusk to feed before roosting for the night; that is when the owl got them.
The geese have never been threatened or killed because they stick together and my 8 ft fence keeps predators out.

Great thread and picture of the wild goose. From time to time, a wild duck shows up with my flock to eat, and the canada geese claim territory in my pasture every spring, but they do not wish to join my birds. A few times, the local sanctuary has brought a rehabbed wild goose to my place, knowing it will rejoin the wild ones when they arrive (and they always do). One time, a day-old canada baby showed up in my barn and one of my africans adopted her. Even though she was raised from birth with my group, she joined the wild ones the following spring.

Never have we experienced a wild adult goose joining our flock, even for a short time. I hope she found her home with your group.

I've been to Salt Lake before, and Utah is a beautiful state, very scenic. It's funny you should mention Canadian geese because I have 5 that I raised from babies. They've stuck together a in their own little group for 4 years, one female and 4 males.
This year 2 Canadian geese have paired, one with a toulouse, the other with an embedded goose. Now those Canadians are so aggressive chasing and bullying everyday. I wish they'd live and let live, but they are just mean and intolerant especially now that they have a mate.

Back
Top Bottom