Wild Muscovy Nest

RosemaryDuck

Crowing
Dec 15, 2020
Florida
Hi all! So our DIY hurricane box from a while back became a huge hit with the wild ducks that visit. Very recently one of them started a nest. She's got about 12 or so eggs going currently and is very diligent!

My question is, is there anything extra I can do for her? She's been coming off the nest to eat when I feed the group. They get duck pellets, same as my tame ducks (they're covered, they don't interact). Anything I should be providing the wild duck besides that? Thanks all! ❤️

The only thing is if they are all sharing it, or do the broody have a private space? These are my ducks that have their nests, very private because the males are ornery. But i think wild ducks are more group oriented? Not sure.
Screenshot_20211201-170730_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20211201-170737_Gallery.jpg

The only thing is if they are all sharing it, or do the broody have a private space? These are my ducks that have their nests, very private because the males are ornery. But i think wild ducks are more group oriented? Not sure.
View attachment 2915528
View attachment 2915529
Im not sure if theres another broody. So far it's just one big nest in the hay, and I've only seen her sitting in there. There's only about 4 big males in the group and the rest are female, so I don't think they'll bother her to much. Those pics are so adorable!! ❤️

Not sure how much more you should do. Ducks, and all of nature, has been doing this stuff a lot longer than we have been helping.
If the muscovy is in Florida, it's not wild its feral. Feral ducks are not well equipped to survive in the wild. They survive in Florida where people feed ducks. But, alas, there are also too many who don't like muscovies [prejudice because they don't like the look of them or don't like the sound that males make; or don't like duck poop on the grass etc] and muscovy ducks are often culled in Florida.

I hope this girl and her future ducklings don't encounter a predator. But without capturing the muscovies and keeping them in an environment protected from predators, it doesn't seem there is anything more RosemaryDuck can do.

Back
Top Bottom